Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Live Ducks As Training Dummies? >

Live Ducks As Training Dummies?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Live Ducks As Training Dummies?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Live Ducks As Training Dummies?

Has any one ever used a live duck to help train dogs. I have heard and seen dogs who will freak out on its first wounded bird and not retrieve it and was told the best way to avoid it is to put your dog on a live duck during training. how would I go about this and not have the duck drown, swim away, or hurt my pup.

(6 month old yellow lab)
Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

I use live ducks all the time. I will remove the flight feathers from one wing and use duct tape to create a flap on each foot. This will prevent the duck from flying away and prevents him from diving very long. I have seen folks that tape the wings and feet, but I don't like it.

Every dog is different, so you need to decide when your pup is ready. I've done at least one duck chase by 6 months with my pups. A well bred dog shouldn't cause any issues as their desire for game will overcome any negative experience.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

All I have to say is wow! I did what you said and after some "OMG, what is this?" from my dog she retrieved the duck and brought it back with absolutely zero issues! What really got me is that my dog went underwater after the duck after the 3rd time it dove. Not far, but she dipped her entire head in and came up with it. Im stoked, Im sure that she will be more than ready to hunt as she will be 9 months old by the time season rolls around! I cant thank you enough for the advice. I also think that it has to alot to do with the fact that I bought her from a very reputable breeder and she had an outstanding pedigree.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Live birds bring out the prey drive.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Fork Horn

Mine had been dealing with cripples and other slight issues of after shot birds wings flapping him in the face all before 2 years old. Now enter the hunt test game, I cannot tell you how many dogs I have seen run up to a crippled duck just used as a live flyer that didn't get shot dead, or ducks that are dead but the wings keep flapping and see either senario and come running back. Seen one dog pick up the bird, and as soon as the wing hit the dogs nose the dog dropped the bird and would not bring it back. I never understood that then or today, are these dogs in hunt tests our hunting partners or just ribbon getters for a title and higher breeding cost and no nothing about hunting?

I use live birds when I can get them, and yes my dog is titled, and my hunting partner.

Skiftcky, I see you live in Kansas, if you are close enough to Higginsville, MO give K&L kennels a call and talk to Mike. he can help you with live bird training

Last edited by Cessna Flyer; 07-01-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:18 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I also use live ducks - some are used as a sight chase and then some are used to help lay a scent trail to teach the dog to duck search on the water.

So I do like mustand does.........to stop a duck from diving - tape the wings - to stop if from swimming tape the legs but use masking tape as that will weaken with time in the water and the duck will get free if you do not get it back

We also teach duck search using a duck call.
We start young dogs by blowing the call and tossing the duck from a short distance on the water (your buddie tosses the duck)
You can add disance in time and even remove the sight of the thrown duck. The duck call is used at that point to get the dog in the right direction.
That is how we start our NAVHDA duck searches as we teach search.

JW
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

JW, if you hunt where you train, use the duct tape to make sure you aren't eating the wrong ducks come fall :-)

Glad things worked out for you shift. Sounds like you have a great pup there.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Spike

where would you get live ducs
Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cessna Flyer
Mine had been dealing with cripples and other slight issues of after shot birds wings flapping him in the face all before 2 years old. Now enter the hunt test game, I cannot tell you how many dogs I have seen run up to a crippled duck just used as a live flyer that didn't get shot dead, or ducks that are dead but the wings keep flapping and see either senario and come running back. Seen one dog pick up the bird, and as soon as the wing hit the dogs nose the dog dropped the bird and would not bring it back. I never understood that then or today, are these dogs in hunt tests our hunting partners or just ribbon getters for a title and higher breeding cost and no nothing about hunting?

I use live birds when I can get them, and yes my dog is titled, and my hunting partner.

Skiftcky, I see you live in Kansas, if you are close enough to Higginsville, MO give K&L kennels a call and talk to Mike. he can help you with live bird training
Many dog owners that compete in hunting tests have never hunted a day in their lives and had the desire to kill any thing. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 07-13-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Spike

What type of ducks do you recommend using for this? I have the room and the space to raise my own to train with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.