HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   pitbulls for coon hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/324848-pitbulls-coon-hunting.html)

bigtomshooter 06-22-2010 06:31 PM

pitbulls for coon hunting

I have a pitbull mix. I know their not hunting dogs except for hogs but I was wondering if it would be worth my time to try and get him going on a coon skin and get familiar with the scent. I know pitbulls are sight dogs but does anyone think it would be possible to teach one to hunt coons. I know if he caught one he would have no problem with it till I got there. Any advice to tips?

podunk kennels 06-22-2010 07:08 PM

I love turning my caych dogs loose on varmints sometimes and had a female that would wind coons and possums. You said mix, what with?

bigtomshooter 06-22-2010 07:29 PM

Boxer

1 Attachment(s)
I think hes got boxer in him heres some pics see what you think.
Attachment 10102

podunk kennels 06-23-2010 01:17 PM

Could be pure, maybe a little boxer or Am Staff. Start working with hi,m now and command his respect and obedience. Training bulldogs isnt for weak willed folks. If you let him hell walk all over you. P.S when it comes to physically disciplining him, hit him as hard as you think you should, then whack him twice as hard.

bigtomshooter 06-23-2010 06:44 PM

ok thanks for the advice

bradley300 06-24-2010 08:08 AM

ive seen all sorts of strange mixxes turn out to be decent coon or squirell dogs. dont get hung up on the breed, he's still a dog, he can smell really well, likes to bark and is smart enuff to be trained. training would go easier if some of your hunting buddies have actuall coon dogs he can go out with, but you can do it on your own

GrayDawg 06-24-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by podunk kennels (Post 3638588)
when it comes to physically disciplining him, hit him as hard as you think you should, then whack him twice as hard.

What dog training book, website, trainer did you clean this little nugget from? :nonono2:

Rob

bigtomshooter 06-25-2010 11:17 AM

Ya I'm not sure I agree with that. But I did get him on a coon last night and he tore into it like a champ.

podunk kennels 06-25-2010 11:21 AM

From three generations of raising working dogs.Different strokes for different folks. Im not advocaing beating a dog just disciplining them. Bulldogs are very stubborn and require someone to get their attention now and then. Good deal that he shows some game traits already, was he by himself or with another dog?

Spirithawk 06-25-2010 06:12 PM

I had a relative, by mariage, that was an outstanding coon hunter. He ran Black & Tans and Blue Ticks. He was having trouble with coyotes attacking his dogs, soooooo, he got the bright idea to cross Black & Tans with Bull Dogs. Went over like a lead brick. The hard headedest, dumbest dogs you could imagine. He gave them all away. Your dog could be a gem though. You just never know. I was told my Boxer wouldn't have the nose to track wounded deer. Heck, he could smell a dog treat in a field of onions! lol