Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Male or Female Pointer?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 AM
JW
Super Moderator

sproul - I disagree - I have two females - aggression in dogs is how you control it and stop it!

I do not allow aggressive behavior in any form or any manner in my home or around my children or grand children. I work at a training facility so I get to see and work with many breeds of dogs in both genders. Even at that kennel we do not allow that type of behavior and if seen it is corrected quickly.

Also on the other hand - Then again the kids are not allowed to tease/taunt any of my dogs.

JW
Old 06-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Spike

I'd go with females , easier to manage in the field and not as aggressive IMO.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mustad
Gender means absolutely nothing as it pertains to hunting. A good dog is a good dog is a good dog.

It all boils down to preference. If you prefer females for whatever reason, they will hunt better than males. The same holds true the other way. If you're looking to bring a hunting pup into your house for the first time, do not focus on gender. Find the breed you want and then find the breeder that hunts the way you want to hunt.

If you already have a fixed notion of what you prefer, nobody will be able to convince you of the opposite, so go with your preconceived notion.

In reality, it boils down to:

If you want your dog to squat when she pees, get a female. If you want him to lift his leg, get a male.

Good luck

Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Don't believe me Sproul?

Go check out NAVHDA test scores, which takes an unbiased view of the performance of a dog against a standard. Average the scores of females vs males and you'll see. There is no noticeable difference.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mustad
Don't believe me Sproul?

Go check out NAVHDA test scores, which takes an unbiased view of the performance of a dog against a standard. Average the scores of females vs males and you'll see. There is no noticeable difference.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.
i agree, most of the best are MALES in those tests etc.hope i was not offensive only giving you what i saw over 46 yrs with me /dad raising dogs and hunting behind many dogs.

no tests no blue ribbions just going out hunting for rabbits/grouse/pheasants and seeing what worked.
you wont believe this but TOBY will not lift his leg to pee much,most thinks he is female .i cover it up by saying,OH TOBY IS POINTING LAB
take care sproul

Last edited by sproulman; 06-22-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Sproul,

No offense taken, but I think you misunderstood my point. My point is not that males are better than females or that females are better than males. My point is that if you already like females, females are better. If you already like males, males are better. The reality is they are the same, but each person can have their own preference which skews reality.

There's no such thing as blue ribbons in NAVHDA; except on the cans of Pabst after the day is done. Just a bunch of hunters that are looking to get the most out of their dogs. Unless you remove a bias; there's no way you can make a fair asessment. Testing to a standard enables an unbiased evaluation of the dog and the owner's training program.