HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Sad day (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/321630-sad-day.html)

Straight Shooter 04-15-2010 09:31 AM

Sad day

Last night about 10pm I took our 4yr old yellow lab out to do his job and I was going to check my outdoor woodstove. When we got to the end of the yard to where the stove is he took off running into the woods and he ran maybe 20 yards and let out this terrible yelp. He dosen't usually make any sounds at all so I knew something bad was up. At first I thought it might have been a porky and he was full of quills but when I saw him my heart sank, the left side of his head was severely damaged and he was bleeding bad. I knew then that he tangled with a bear and got swatted. Ended up putting him down because the vet couldn't promise he would make it. Had 2 great years of hunting with him, he was a natural at it, I didn't have to do any training with him. I don't think I've cried this much ever. Just had to share our loss.

JW 04-15-2010 09:37 AM

Sorry to read that and have been there far too many times myself.

It don't get any easier at all!

But remember the good times - some day I will be able to join the whole pack of those who have left my side!

JW

Redskin_Archer 04-16-2010 06:20 AM

That is terribly sad. I visit a friends cabin in bear country in wisconsin every summer. last year I brought my 10 month english springer spaniel, We had a bear in camp the first morning, I was terrified to let Duke off his lead. I really feel for you man.

Jimmy S 04-16-2010 09:20 AM

SS - very sorry to hear that news about your Lab. A very tough way to have to be put down. My condolences to you and your family!

roo3006 04-16-2010 12:23 PM

Sorry for your loss. There isnt to many things in life tougher than the loss of a good dog. My condolences to you and your family.

Quinnerdog 04-18-2010 06:39 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. It's hard for people to understand just how close you get with your 4 legged hunting buddy's. I dread the day that my Quinn can no longer be by my side. You did the right thing by ending his pain.

Phil from Maine 04-24-2010 08:08 AM

I am also sorry to hear of your loss. Remember the good times he had brought you and your family. My condolences to you and your family...

mr.mc54 04-24-2010 12:14 PM

Sad story, we all will enevitably endure some day. I love my dogs more than alot of people! Your dog will be waiting for you with a shock collar for the next life. He will tell you "it's your turn this time".

2 Samuel 22:35 04-26-2010 07:02 PM

Im sorry,
Best regards to you and your family
I have a lab and i cannot imagine losing him.
Very sorry for your loss.

Mojotex 05-11-2010 05:59 PM

Like the others that answered, I hate it for you and your brave dog ... taking on a bear like that. Beleive me I know how attached a hunter can become to his hound.