Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Sad day

Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Spike

Default Sad day

Last night about 10pm I took our 4yr old yellow lab out to do his job and I was going to check my outdoor woodstove. When we got to the end of the yard to where the stove is he took off running into the woods and he ran maybe 20 yards and let out this terrible yelp. He dosen't usually make any sounds at all so I knew something bad was up. At first I thought it might have been a porky and he was full of quills but when I saw him my heart sank, the left side of his head was severely damaged and he was bleeding bad. I knew then that he tangled with a bear and got swatted. Ended up putting him down because the vet couldn't promise he would make it. Had 2 great years of hunting with him, he was a natural at it, I didn't have to do any training with him. I don't think I've cried this much ever. Just had to share our loss.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Sorry to read that and have been there far too many times myself.

It don't get any easier at all!

But remember the good times - some day I will be able to join the whole pack of those who have left my side!

JW
Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Spike

That is terribly sad. I visit a friends cabin in bear country in wisconsin every summer. last year I brought my 10 month english springer spaniel, We had a bear in camp the first morning, I was terrified to let Duke off his lead. I really feel for you man.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

SS - very sorry to hear that news about your Lab. A very tough way to have to be put down. My condolences to you and your family!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Spike

Sorry for your loss. There isnt to many things in life tougher than the loss of a good dog. My condolences to you and your family.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Spike

I am so sorry for your loss. It's hard for people to understand just how close you get with your 4 legged hunting buddy's. I dread the day that my Quinn can no longer be by my side. You did the right thing by ending his pain.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am also sorry to hear of your loss. Remember the good times he had brought you and your family. My condolences to you and your family...
Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Sad story, we all will enevitably endure some day. I love my dogs more than alot of people! Your dog will be waiting for you with a shock collar for the next life. He will tell you "it's your turn this time".
Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Im sorry,
Best regards to you and your family
I have a lab and i cannot imagine losing him.
Very sorry for your loss.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like the others that answered, I hate it for you and your brave dog ... taking on a bear like that. Beleive me I know how attached a hunter can become to his hound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.