Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Good Dog Names

Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Judah...atleast you used an 'h' instead of an 's'.

You could name him after a US gun manf like Remmington, Winchester, Ruger
After a state: Utah, Missouri, Dakota, Alaska, etc.
Two letter acrynom: MC (hammer), JC (Jesus Christ), MJ (Micheal Jordon), etc

Personally, I don't like to call a dog by another species. I mean would you call your dog 'Cat'? My dog's name on paper is Kimbu Wind'em Kelly (kennel's name, line, name that started with 'K' ). She's tri-colored but mostly black spots so common name is Pepper. But the name that suits her is 'Financial Deficit'.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

When we first got our Springer 7 years ago, he was 11 months old and came with the name Pete. The first few times I took him into the woods he would range 50-75 yds away. A man and his son, who also had a Springer in their truck, asked if I hunted him. I said No, but said he would go afield in the Fall. They asked what his range was. I told them 50-75 yds and they said he was definitely a ranger. They asked his name and I told them it was Pete. They went to the dog and said "Are you a ranger, Pete"? I was very suprised when the exact same thing happened less than a week later. Again, a man and his wife, who also had a Springer, asked if he hunted yet and what his name was. And again, they went to the dog and asked "Are you a ranger, Pete"?

Well, you probably know where this story is going. When we filled out his AKC registration papers years ago his name officially became Ranger Pete. Honey's (after my wife's nickname) Ranger Pete to be exact.
Sometimes ya just never know.....

Last edited by Jimmy S; 03-23-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
JUDAH!!! Are you kidding?!!! I gave you 20 awesome hunting dog names and you come up with..... JUDAH!! Well at least you gotta dog ( with a pitiful name ). Look fwd to seein pics.
GEN
we overruled
Judah
were still on the search
Old 03-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

haha we were calling my black lab amigo (spanish for friend) for like a week then my dad came home from working away and said thats a frickin chihuahua name then we gave him his name riley
Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Diamond, Bruno, or Blaze
Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I wish i could have the final say when it comes to choosing a name
But i found out one of the important lessons of life
"It is impossible to argue with a female about a dog name"
LOL
Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Typical Buck

So, Judah it is!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Falkodafesentflusha
Old 03-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

A yellow lab, huh? well, so much for a nice simple name like Joe, Pete, Fred or Dick. Or even Jake, or Ben, or Rex.

You can't really resort to the old Steven Wright standard and name your dog "Stay", either. "Paws" might be good, but then the dog would have to figure out you don't mean "pause", which is close to "stay" and you'd wind up with a mess.

If you're going to have a retriever, a single syllable name works best when sending him; it just sounds so much more authoritative. i.e. "Jude" rather than "Judah". But either way, a lot of people, especially women, are going to automatically think you're saying "Judy" and will think he's a she.

I've always been partial to names with some amount of whimsy, like "Bark" or "Speak" or the aforementioned "Stay". Something tells me, those won't fly in your house.

In the end, you're going to wind up losing anyhow, so just go ahead and give in to the wife.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used to have dog named Traz (Short for Alcatraz) becasue he the pattern on his head had two big spots that went down from the top down to his body on each side, and there was lone spot sitting in between and it reminded me of San Fran. Bay and Alcatraz so I named him that. I miss that dog...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.