Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Rabbit hunting with beagles >

Rabbit hunting with beagles

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Rabbit hunting with beagles

Old 03-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Spike

Exclamation Rabbit hunting with beagles

been trying to find other people that hunt rabbits with dogs being to think that me and my uncle are the only ones
Old 03-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Spike

I hunt rabbits with Basset Hounds.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt rabbits with beagles each and every year! Actually hoping to pick up another beagle this year...
Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rabbits

me and dad hunted rabbits for at least 46 yrs.always used a beagle.i use labrador now.........
lot of storys i could tell,good and bad ones .sad here in pa that rabbits are very few too.
no cover, hawks, owls, eagles, coyotes,fox,bobcats all take toll on rabbits.
years ago the locals would shoot most of the above,today they are past away and very few hunt rabbits as they are few do to those PREDATORS above........

you can murder someone and get 1 yr in jail but kill hawk and you go away for 10yrs.what a system we have now..........
Old 04-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

i hunt beagles, got a grandpup out of Branko's One Tuff Ombre. and male beagle. 1 and half years old, good dogs.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:19 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted and raised beagles for 26 years. There is nothing better than running dogs and shootin' bunnys. I raised 2 litters of pups this spring. Sent 1 pup to Alaska and 2 others to Illinois. I have 3 pups left, going to keep 2 for sure and maybe the other. We'll just see what happens. I have gotten into the UKC hunts this summer and it has been a blast. I took my boy to the youth hunt and he loved it. He has already claimed one of the pups to hunt next year.

Last edited by DTC; 06-19-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

funny story... I was hunting squirrel and rabbit one year and almost shot a beagle coming out of a thicket thinking it was a rabbit. The prior night it had been negative 6 degrees and I could tell the dog had been out there for a while when it tried to eat the guts from a fresh cleaned squirrel. I ended up going back to the truck and gave the dog my lunch and it scarfed it down like there was no tomorrow. After that, the dog hunted for me and did a good job. I ended up taking it to the shelter (could not afford to keep another dog) and told them of his ability to hunt and to call me if they were going to euthenise it and I would take it back. Within a week a rabbit hunter picked it up and it now hunts with him on a regular basis. Glad it ended up in good hands doing what it enjoys. Hindsight.... I should have kept the beagle as my rabbit hunts have been less than productive since that day I found the poor dog.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Feistman
I hunt rabbits with Basset Hounds.
Feistman, amen to that! I thought I was the only one. Wish you weren't across the country.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

beagle will flush a lot of pheasants .using a lab/beagle combo is deadly on pheasants.i used to raise the taller beagles as the small ones cant handle the heavy grass as easy as tall ones.

they make a great pheasant dog when birds get in the thick briars etc.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigalc
Feistman, amen to that! I thought I was the only one. Wish you weren't across the country.
Hey Al, check out this group: www.bassetnet.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.