Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
? the puppies first days at a new home >

? the puppies first days at a new home

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

? the puppies first days at a new home

Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul, Thanks for the tips. SOme of them I remember from our Yorkie we had years ago. I will be doing much of that what you mentioned. I just wish there was someway to stop her from crying the first 2 nights with me. But I guess thats mostly impossible. Oh well a couple nights wont be too bad. We will just have to take some naps during the day to catch up on the sleepless first 2 nights.

Thanks again guys

Brian
Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
JW
Super Moderator

For crying puppies it is best to ignore it.

I walk away and leave the dog in the crate in my home. I may even darken the room.
One thing I will do is really exercise the pup so the pup is tired and sleeps well. Each time upon taking it out of the crate outside we go.

The crate is always their safe haven as I never put the dog in there if I am mad.

JW
Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

When I was potty training my dog, I made a big deal everytime she went outdoors. One day, she potty in the hallway. She was so proud that she kept running to me and back to her potty tail wagging excitedly. She expected me to give a 'good girl!' I just had to laugh. She equated my praise with pottying and not pottying outside.

The best investment I've made is getting a steam cleaner. Mix part pet odor with normal steam cleaning solution. Because once they potty in a certain spot, they'll keep going there.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:35 AM
Spike

Lots of good advise posted. Mite, love the one about the floor cleaner.

The only thing I will add is not about house training.

Keep your pup away from places like dog parks and pet stores. Places where lots of dogs have been. Untill there around 4 or 5 months they don't have it in there immune system to deal with some of the diseases they can come in contact with. Talk to your breeder and your vet about this subject and follow there advise.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, don't reward the crying by picking it up. If you know it just went potty, just leave it in the crate and let it be. Another thing I always did with my puppies, is when they wake up from a nap, get them outside right now, they will pee. And while they are looking for a spot, tell them "Hurry up", over and over. It comes in handy when they are older and you just want them to go. It becomes "code" for go to the bathroom. Good around other people and times like traveling and such. You eventually will get your dog to even pee on command with "hurry up".
Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 445 supermag
Sproul, Thanks for the tips. SOme of them I remember from our Yorkie we had years ago. I will be doing much of that what you mentioned. I just wish there was someway to stop her from crying the first 2 nights with me. But I guess thats mostly impossible. Oh well a couple nights wont be too bad. We will just have to take some naps during the day to catch up on the sleepless first 2 nights.

Thanks again guys

Brian
more affection you show first few weeks worst it gets.puppy gets too attached to us all.i have list of things not to do.like my sister always wants toby to lick her face.i said, KAY WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO IF TOBY BITES YOU ON THE LIP.......

use radio in kitchen with voices on at night.cover top of the wire crate with blanket,reduce room in crate,make it tight. moms rag thing and clock.you will be set.

DONT SHOW AFFECTION WHEN THEY ARE CRYING.it wont stop if you do.

take care sproul
Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MTdrahthaar
Yes, don't reward the crying by picking it up. If you know it just went potty, just leave it in the crate and let it be. Another thing I always did with my puppies, is when they wake up from a nap, get them outside right now, they will pee. And while they are looking for a spot, tell them "Hurry up", over and over. It comes in handy when they are older and you just want them to go. It becomes "code" for go to the bathroom. Good around other people and times like traveling and such. You eventually will get your dog to even pee on command with "hurry up".

very well said,i also used HURRY UP while puppy is looking for spot.i use OUTSIDE when i grab puppy and run to back door shooting pee in air.

oh fun of having puppy........
Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mite
When I was potty training my dog, I made a big deal everytime she went outdoors. One day, she potty in the hallway. She was so proud that she kept running to me and back to her potty tail wagging excitedly. She expected me to give a 'good girl!' I just had to laugh. She equated my praise with pottying and not pottying outside.

The best investment I've made is getting a steam cleaner. Mix part pet odor with normal steam cleaning solution. Because once they potty in a certain spot, they'll keep going there.
vinagar works mixed with water too on dog pee in steam cleaner shampoo machine.i bought the LITTLE GREEN MACHINE from wal-mart.i also use it on my car carpets.

here is another tip.use BORAX powder on your carpet to kill fleas,let sit for few days and vacuum up.

borax kills fleas and DAWN DISH DETERGENT kills fleas on dogs.....