Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
? the puppies first days at a new home >

? the puppies first days at a new home

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

? the puppies first days at a new home

Old 03-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ? the puppies first days at a new home

I was curious about everyones experiences with bringing home there new puppies. Is the first few nights filled with crying howling and the like? Or did you have a better experience? Also if you guys have any tricks to make it a bit better for the puppies first few nights.

I am going to be getting my DD in just under 6 weeks from now. I haven't had a puppy for 15 years and really don't remember the first days with our old puppy.

So give me the good bad and ugly and what tricks to make those first few nights bearable, and how it all went.

Thanks

Brian
Old 03-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

If the pup wont sleep and start makin a racket DO NOT pick her up and hold her, just like a baby itll only get worse. Instead put a wind up alarm clock inside a towel or old blanket and put in the pups sleep area while its ticking. This calms recently separated pups as their used to havin bro and sis to sleep with i reckon it mimics a littermates hearbeat.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply. I have heard about the alarm clock with the ticking to help it feel like it was with her litter mates. I might just pick one up and put it in her crate before hand to help her out. I will also try to poop her out before she goes in for the night.

So no matter what don't pick her up right. I just hope I don't give in... I guess that I will just put her crate in the fartherest room from the bedrooms so the noise wont be too bad LOL.

Thanks
Brian
Old 03-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Thats the ticket, if you baby em youll get a big baby.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Thats the ticket, if you baby em youll get a big baby.
Thanks Podunk. I will just have to be strong.

Brian
Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

If youre concerned enough to post about this subject then im sure youll be a great dog owner.

Good Luck
Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

I would first set an area for the pup. Like a laundry room or bathroom, someplace with tile or vinyl flooring, no carpet. Don't lock the door but use a baby gate. This is the area you want her to sleep at night.

For the first few nights, set the crate near you or a family member. That way, the pup can hear/see someone. It will calm them down somewhat. Later you can move them to 'their' area. You can also use a radio in combination with the clock. ie, get a small plastic bottle filled with warm water, wrap it with a towel and have the clock ticking. In the background, use the radio to make soft noises.

As for pottying, always be consistant. Take the pup out atleast (2 would be good)once a night at a certain time. Let them drink during the day but feed them less water at night. Their internal clock will tell them to hold until its time for you to take them out.

There are tips you can use while the pup is growing up like using the whistle to call the dog for feeding which you will overlay into the field. Woahing her before she eats, also overlays and not tugging the leash which will help with heeling later on.

Read "How to help gundogs train themselves" by Joan Bailey which is a precursor to NAVHDA training book.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mite
I would first set an area for the pup. Like a laundry room or bathroom, someplace with tile or vinyl flooring, no carpet. Don't lock the door but use a baby gate. This is the area you want her to sleep at night.

For the first few nights, set the crate near you or a family member. That way, the pup can hear/see someone. It will calm them down somewhat. Later you can move them to 'their' area. You can also use a radio in combination with the clock. ie, get a small plastic bottle filled with warm water, wrap it with a towel and have the clock ticking. In the background, use the radio to make soft noises.

As for pottying, always be consistant. Take the pup out atleast (2 would be good)once a night at a certain time. Let them drink during the day but feed them less water at night. Their internal clock will tell them to hold until its time for you to take them out.

There are tips you can use while the pup is growing up like using the whistle to call the dog for feeding which you will overlay into the field. Woahing her before she eats, also overlays and not tugging the leash which will help with heeling later on.

Read "How to help gundogs train themselves" by Joan Bailey which is a precursor to NAVHDA training book.
Thanks Mite,

I will be using a crate for my puppy till she is older. I really like the warm bottle trick too along with the clock and radio with soft music. Should give me the best shot at a decent night sleep. I hope. But like Podunk said I don't want to baby her and make it worse.

I have been around regular dogs in my life for over 25 years, just not a gun dog. I am so looking forward to it. I think I will give these suggestions some a shot.

thanks guys.

Brian

Last edited by 445 supermag; 03-17-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

I just picked up my new lab puppy today. Im going to let him get used to me and his new surroundings over the next few days before starting to work on training. The thing is that nothing you want to do now should be rushed nor should it seem like work. For now all training your puppy does should be play and fun for him/her. Seriousness comes much later after you have established yourself as the lead dog. I also have a one year old Lab that I call the hunting net byproduct He's done awsome as far as obedience and a good portion of his training. I think I may have pushed hos water training to fast because he will retireve dryland all day long but will not water retrieve. Take it slow and buy some patience by the caseload.... Good luck with the new addition
Old 03-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

get a crate with wire sides not plastic.make area inside real small so puppy wont poo as much or not.you have to take puppy outside a lot like every 2 hrs for pee.dont bring puppy back in until they go or try to go.somtimes it takes 30 minutes.i did this in blizzards at 10 above in march, brrrrrr....

say OUTSIDE when you take puppy out to pee/poo.if puupy makes circle, grab him/her and run to door saying OUTSIDE.YOU CAN POTTY TRAIN A PUUPY IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS DOING THIS.secret is to make the cart only big enough for puppy to sleep. any bigger and they will pee/poo in there,THATS NO GOOD.

NEXT RUB A RAG ON MOTHER AT THE KENNEL, TAKE THAT HOME WITH YOU.let puppy sleep with that.
turn on radio in kitchen so voices are on radio all night.puppys like voices. doing this and puppy will not cry after 2 days.after about a week you can shut radio off.

dont let puppy pee in house.it will happen but most of time you will learn when puppy is ready to pee.
dont let puppy run all thru house.make little areas where you can play with puppy and watch tv at same time.tv is great for puppy on sounds etc.

people that dont potty train pup are asking for trouble.clock idea is good under moms rag with smell.
crate is greatest thing to have.when you cant watch puppy,put in crate .make sure its only big enough to sleep in ,my crate came with divider to make area smaller and as puppy grows you can make area bigger.
after a few weeks puppy may not need crate.
dont let puppy in your bed or on couch.aggressive puppys are happening a lot now.look at mom/pop,if anyone of them is SHY or aggresSive DONT BUY THE PUPPY,WALK AWAY.........

THATS ABOUT IT.dont use can food only dry food. purina pro plan is good and after 9 months i changed to CANIDAE ALL LIFE.

take care sproul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.