Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Just sent in Deposit on my first Hunting dog >

Just sent in Deposit on my first Hunting dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Just sent in Deposit on my first Hunting dog

Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just sent in Deposit on my first Hunting dog

Well after 3 months of Hell putting down our Yorkie 3 months ago do to pancreatic cancer and then just last week I had to put down my dog a mutt we found when we used to live in FL. His name was Rocky and I miss him terribly. He was such a great dog I can't eplain but I am sure you guys know how I am feeling.

Its been 24 years since I woke up and didn't have a dog to take out in the morning. The house is very quiet now with only a cat who now since Rockys passing is meowing like freaking crazy. They or she loved Rocky as she would lay right next to him and rub all over the dog and they would sleep together almost every night. I know she miss him as we all do.

Well now I have been researching hunting dogs (versatile Dogs) for the last year or so and I knew when the time was right (Like now) that I was going to get one. Well the time has come to fill our house with another family member.

I just put a deposit on a DD from Altmoor.com. I loved there site and how they put as much stock in their dogs to be good family dogs as well as outstanding hunters. Another great thing is that I am only about 50 minutes from them. Of all the luck for which I am never that lucky to be close like this. I am on the list for a beautiful female when the time comes to pick one I will have 3 to choose from. As there are some people ahead of me. I already received their manual on training and am in the process of reading it now. I will get this puppy in mid april. They will be doing the (VJP) as the spring test starts April 9 10 11.

I am looking forward to my first hunting dog but am quite nervous about being ready for this pup. My concern is that I wont be good enough for this dog to do it justice. I just want her to be the best she can. I just don't want to be weak link in the chain but I am sure since my inexperience that I will be.

I am very much looking forward to having fun and learn as much as I can in every training aspect with my new friend.

Well I was not a contributor in this forum at all but more of a lurker but I am sure I will now be posting from now on.

Brian

Last edited by 445 supermag; 03-08-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brian: You sound very excited about your new arrival in April.
I wish you all the best and truly hope you and she have many wonderful years together.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Spike

Sorry about the loss of your other dogs. Congrats on the future addition though. A DD is going to make a fine hunting companion.
Have you thought about joining NAVHDA?

http://www.navhda.org/
Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys I am very excited about this dog. This will be my first hunting dog and am looking forward to everything associated with training and hunting. This is going to be one wild ride.

Yes I do plan on joining the NAVHDA as soon as I get my little girl

Brian
Old 03-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Typical Buck

Roger is a very dedicated breeder... I am sure you will end up with a good dog. He's also a wealth of knowledge in how to raise and train a dog. Make sure you get his DD Puppy Manual. I don't have DD's, but thought his book was extremely helpful for anyone who is getting a dog bred in a JGHV based breed club. Very helpful in understanding the importance and process of testing the pup next year in VJP and HZP.

Good luck with your pup.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 03-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on getting things set up for your new puppy. All to often some one will jump at the spur of the moment without checking anything out. I am also sorry to hear about your luck with your other dogs as well. Time will pass but you will still remember them. Just do not expect your new puppy will be the same as those were.. Good Luck and take care..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-10-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I know that a new dog can never replace or take place of an older one that passed on. Every dog that I have ever had from my Doberman to my last mutt that we found were all exceptional and not one ever replaced that other. They are all special and will always be remembered till I pass to the happy hunting fields in the sky.

Yes I already have the manual and am reading it daily. The more I read the manual the more I am impressed with the VDD with regards to breed standards and continued improvement.

Roger is FANTASTIC, even with a newbe like me with my first hunting dog and all the questions and everything else thats involved.

I have researched Roger and his dogs and I can say I am very excited and confident with getting my pup from them..

When I was checking out their site and reading about them I didn't know where they were located and I new I was going to get my dog from them. So when I looked at where they were located I was like (you got to be kidding they are less than an hour away and I have driven by their house numerous times without ever knowing about it. I am going to see the dogs come end of march or beginning of april for a visit and see how their place is set up.

These dogs are supposedly going to be ready by April 10 but that is right in the middle of the VJP which they will be taking the puppies to and getting their score. SO I will just have to prepare for the HZP this fall. That one will be on me. BUt I am so looking forward to training and having some fun and learning a bunch. I have so much to do and so little time to do it before my baby gets here.

Brian
Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 445 supermag
These dogs are supposedly going to be ready by April 10 but that is right in the middle of the VJP which they will be taking the puppies to and getting their score. SO I will just have to prepare for the HZP this fall. That one will be on me. BUt I am so looking forward to training and having some fun and learning a bunch. I have so much to do and so little time to do it before my baby gets here.

Brian
When was the pup born? Does Roger keep his litters until they are tested in VJP? That's interesting. The dog must be born prior to Oct 1, 2009 if he's getting tested in VJP this spring. Otherwise, the pup will be tested next year. Or did I misunderstand you and Roger is just taking the pups to the test for everyone to drool over?

I'm running my PP pup in VJP in North Carolina next month.

Good luck Brian.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mustad, Well this just shows you how dumb I am right now with regards to this breed. Puppies were born Feb 20th 2010. I thought that the dogs go through this test as puppies to see their inherited potential and natural abilities. So you mean that this puppy will take this test next year in the spring when she is 1 year old. Then take the HZP in the fall at 1 1/2 years old???

Boy I thought I was getting this testing thing but apparently I am not.

Ok I have no clue what I am talking about. Ok just laugh at me

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.