Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
best bang for the buck puppy food >

best bang for the buck puppy food

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

best bang for the buck puppy food

Old 10-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Spike

Default best bang for the buck puppy food

I just switched my lab pup from diamond puppy to nutro max puppy bc diamond was tearing her stomach up i was wondering if any body has any advice on which puppy food is the best bang for my buck I don't want to go cheap but I can't afford to buy $3/lb dog either any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-18-2009, 06:24 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have always used Purina

JW
Old 10-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Spike

Over 20 years of feeding Purina never had a problem.
I have tried other brands to try and save money, but always wind up going back to Purina.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like said above I have always used Purina.I may do it wrong ,But I get That powdered milk calf supplement put some on the puppy chow and use it the first year.Then I feed just puppy chow for the next 8 months to a year .Then on to regular dog chow.I can tell the difference in size and build.Most of mine never did like the Purina Hi-Pro stuff though.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

I started feeding Purina but my dog was/is allergic to wheat, so to Royal Canin until recently when I switch to Sportmix Premium. but while he was a puppy is was Royal Canin puppy large breed.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

I use Native. Google Native Dog Food. They give you a list of dealers on their website.

Cheers
Brad
Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default feed

I have fed purina, diamond, iams, and several others. I ussually have 5 adult dogs, (pointers and one Chessie) and a couple litters of pointer pups a year.

Last February/March I tried diamond extreme athlete, it was around $30 for a 37lb bag, for the price I was not impressed.

I have been feeding Red Flannel Prime for about 8 months now, it is $23 for a 50lb bag. they keep a card for you and every 6 bags you buy you get one free. Also it is recommended for all life stages so I do not have to worry about having two different kinds of feed when I have a litter on the ground.

I think that for a $20 a bag dog food it is pretty good. Somebody might say they will not feed Red flannel because they have had recalls, but you find me a dog food company who hasnt. Diamond, Purina, and all the other big companies have also.

I have a good friend (he has Brittanys)who has been feeding Sportmix for over a year and is very happy with it also.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default purina

All you guys who say Purina, What kind of Purina? The Walmart Purina, or Purina Pro Plan?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by birddog3412
All you guys who say Purina, What kind of Purina? The Walmart Purina, or Purina Pro Plan?
Pro Plan.
I also tried the diamond extreme athlete, gave one dog the runs.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Up Dawg is the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.