Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Anyone coonhunt with blueticks? >

Anyone coonhunt with blueticks?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Anyone coonhunt with blueticks?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

My best Coon hound was a Blue tick.
The only problem with him was he couldn't dispatch a wounded coon and ended up with bite marks on his face and ears.
He was a very good treeing dog and if he barks sooner or later it's treed.
My coon hunting ended when someone(I'm positive) picked him up while treeing I had just skinned and carry five Coons by then and just didn't make it to the tree on time before someone else did. I never saw him again. We had about 5 yrs of hunting together and every night was a riot with that Blue tick.
I hope you have good hunts with yours.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Spike

I have hunted with blues before. the next dog i get is goona be a blue. i use to live down south and every one had one so i kinda grew up around them. i love to hear them bay, sounds beautiful. i like the more heavier set blue ticks they just look mean. right now i am currently hunting with a Plott, she dose get the job done but she aint no Blue.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Spike

I have hunted coon with every kind of coon hound that i have ever heard of. blue tick, red tick, black and tans, red bones, plotts and walkers. i even hunted a few years ago with a half red bone and half pit bull. All will do the job some just have different styles. I grew up hunting more walkers than anything. My little red tick(english) bitch I had was the sweetest little dog I ever owned. Hunted er the better part of five years and the only trash she ever ran was when she honored another dog that was treeing a possum. I would take a good coon dog as long as it was house broke. I don't want two puppies at once just got a german shorthaired pointer.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt bear with Blueticks. I have Walkers and Plotts also but my Blueticks are the all stars. The best noses and the fastest of all my hounds, with a ton of grit, what more could a guy want out of a hound?

Last edited by fritz1; 01-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Spike

My cousin has a bluetick that we hunt with and he is a great dog, sorry, no pics.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cut my teeth back in the early 50s with my Dad hunting coons behind our blue tick and black & tan. God, those were the days! Fritz1, I really envy you with those dogs doing that!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Spike

Fritz ......I used to have some pretty decent bear dogs too. My absolute best was a Bluetick/Walker cross. He was super cold and fast. His father was a Bluetick that was a real meat dog and his Mom was a really cold nosed Walker. Unfortunately he got killed by a bear when he was about 5 but he died doing what he loved. I got the bear on the wall behind me. I think of that dog almost daily. Thanks for the pics............I sometimes miss the sport.