Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
At what age does your hunting dog start "slowing down"? >

At what age does your hunting dog start "slowing down"?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

At what age does your hunting dog start "slowing down"?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default At what age does your hunting dog start "slowing down"?

My Springer will be 8 this May and he shows no evidence of slowing down. He is still full of the same energy he had as a pup. Relentless is a word I often use to describe his hunting style.

Now that he is well into middle age, should I expect a decrease in his hunting as he gets older. Does it differ between breeds?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 AM
JW
Super Moderator

It can Jimmy - but if you keep the dog in top shape you can expect a few more years.

I still hunted one at 14 for short trips........

JW
Old 02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

I’ve had Drahthaar’s mostly males that have hunted their hearts out up to 13 years of age. Also for short periods of time. I’ve had 1 that lived to 16 and I wouldn’t have dared not putting him in the truck to at least go.

Goatslayer……..
Old 02-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have Florida curs and hunt hogs with them, usually my dogs start slowing down around 7 or so but 7 in hog dog years is saying something.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Spike

I am also a springer guy, have had 5 (2 waiting for me on the other side, and 3 still with me). Its hard to say when they start to slow down. I suspect they start losing a step or two when they are 7 or 8 but you don't notice it because their brain makes up for the loss of speed. By 9 you may start seeing it in how tired they are after a day's hunt. By 10 or 11 its obvious but they are still good hunters. By 12 the hard days are behind them. I still take them out then, they are my girls. But the days of hard sustained hunts are past and the next generation has its day.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am certain that it will vary across not only breeds but individually. My blood trailing Dachshund, Tex, sort of hit a wall at age 13. At age 12, I could see him tiring more easily, but he still wanted to and could go pretty well for hours on end. The next year he was not himself. He was up a superb deer blood trailer and as good a squirrel dog as I have ever been around. He just broke down physically. He was gone at age 15.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen several deer dogs (walkers) that were 7-10 years old that could hold their own again a pack of younger dogs. I had a 7 year old dog that died last year that was leading the pack everytime he went and still acted like he was half his age. I would think it depends on the breeding and individual dog also. A older dog with alot of drive will still want to hunt, although you might want to cut down on his hunting time, even if he still wants to hunt everytime you go. I learned that the hard way....
Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great advice given...Thanks, I appreciate all the input.
Good Hunting to All!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

When "they" say a human year is like 7 for a dog, "they" aren't far off, IMO.

A 7 or 8 human-year old dog is going to have the endurance of a 50 to 55 year old man or woman. But just like with humans, their endurance is usually going to depend on their exercise program. Since I'm nearly 8 in dog years (or is it the other way around?), I can confirm that I can't do what I did when I was 5 or 6. I fully expect that by the time I'm 10, I'll still love to hunt but not in heavy cover. The duck blind is going to be colder. By noon, I'll need a nap.

My American Water Spaniel lived 14 years, plus. The last two years were a gift to me from him and from God. He wasn't sick, he was just old. He changed a lot between 10 and 12.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

if you keep weight off a dog ,12 yrs old would be good guess from what i remember over 46 yrs.WEIGHT is the bigone........my black lab toby even with a bad toe hunted like he is 2 yrs old.i had beagles that were 14 yrs old and hunted well.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.