Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
new to hunting with dogs >

new to hunting with dogs

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

new to hunting with dogs

Old 01-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Spike

Default new to hunting with dogs

I've been deer and turkey hunting for a while but now with a three year old girl and another one on the way I'm looking to get into something that I can include my little girl in and she wont get bored. She loves dogs and so do I and some of the fellas at church run coon dogs and my preacher has just started into rabbit dogs. I'm looking for some advice on what kind of dog hunting is kid friendly. Right now I'm interested in rabbit dogs, squirrel dogs, and coon dogs. Any advice on breeds and types of dog huntin would be a big help.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

When dogs are "hunting" they could really care less who is around, they are to busy doing the job of hunting. So if its interaction with your kid your wanting, you prob wont get much of that until your back home.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Spike

I have plenty of time with my daughter I've been laid off since August, so I've been Mr. Mom for a while. I want to get her started in huntin she already loves to fish and she likes walkin in the woods with me and my dad. She also has her own bow "just like daddy" except mine aint pink! She wants to go huntin but stickin a 3 year old in a deer stand and tellin her to be quiet and sit still probably aint gonna happen right now.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Rabbit or squirrel. Would say no on the coon dogs. I run hounds and love coon hunting but for little kids it isn't the best introduction to dogs and hunting. Being at night, most of the good hunting is when the little ones need to be sleeping. If she's tired when you start and you keep her out late she won't get near the enjoyment that she should. Also done along creeks and rivers. You get wet and often times cold. Better to indoctrinate them to coon hunting when a little older IMO.

You also run the risk of the dogs catching a coon on the ground. Doesn't happen often but when it does the fight is on!!! That could be a traumatic experience for a little one.

Never hunted rabbits or squirrels with dogs but beagles make great family pets and those that I have talked to that have been have really enjoyed rabbit hunting with them. I would recommend hooking up with the preacher, getting a beagle and doing the rabbit thing.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Spike

I would recommend a Beagle. Most will have a great temperament around kids, are eager, and happy-go-lucky.
They are also the easiest hunting dog to train for the beginning hunting dog trainer.
They aren't a high maintenance dog either in terms of grooming and inherent illnesses. They're small, so they don't take up much space, nor do they eat alot either.
Just do your homework and get a pup out of a proven line of good hunting Beagles.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Spike

Yeah Im leanin toward the rabbit dogs right now, matter of fact supposed to go with the preacher next week. I also found at that one of the guys that runs coon dogs has mt. cur he runs squirrels with. Gonna give that a try too.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Spike

Ultimate Prairie Dog Hunting is proud to offer 6 prairie dog hunting spots and outfitters on our website. Currently two are represented in South Dakota, one hunting spot in Kansas with 10,000+ acres, one from Montana, one from Wyoming and a new prairie dog spot in Colorado. Several hunting options exist such as: different price ranges, guided and unguided options, lodging on site, and large and small group options.
=================
legitimate home based business
Call Center Careers