Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

bluetick beagle

Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default bluetick beagle

I am thinking about getting a beagle for rabbit hunting, or a cur for squirrel hunting. I can't decide which one would get hunted more. There are lots of squirrels, and rabbits around where I hunt so that isn't an issue. I was thinking would a bluetick beagle possibly be a decent tree (for squirrels) dog? I know beagles were bred to run not tree but blueticks are great tree dogs. Well is my thinking retarded or does it hold water? Thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never heard of a bluetick beagle heard or a bluetick and a beagle but not both mixed?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Spike

there is a such thing as a blue tick beagle but I have never used a dog to hunt squirrels I'm sure you could train one to do it though it would take a lot of work and patience
Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Spike

http://peytonbeagles.webs.com

I raise Beagles and love watching them run rabbits, if your going to hunt for rabbit I would go with a beagle, bluetick is a beagle and just means ticking in the color, lil spots, like a lemon is white -n- tan/

if going to sq. hunt id look at a feist , curs are nice but I just dont see using just for sq, maybe wild hogs, and such.bluetick beagle-14me.gif
Old 01-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with peyton, as a beagler myself. Don't let the "bluetick" fool you, it's just another line of beagles.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

They make good rabbit dogs. I raise blueticks and love running them. Look at a jack russel or terrier for your squirrels.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beagles will hunt what you teach them, right now at the miami Airport they are use to detect ,fruits and vegetables in the luggages of arrival flights from other countries, they can also detect bombs and drugs.
I had one that would run anything you set her on, wounded deers, squirrels and she would tree and stayed tree or follow the squirrels by site,she would also love to chase rabbits.

There is a State Law Enforcement agency that uses one, which they drive around neighborhoods with the beagle's head sticking out the window, if she smells chemicals used in crack home labs she will let you know, LOL
Old 01-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info. I will probably go with a beagle and after getting going good on bunnies maybe try to see if I can get it to tree squirrels also. Hopefully I can get one this summer to have it started hunting for the winter when we have some snow. I've never hunted with a beagle but love hunting with hounds alot of my buddies run bear, coyotes, bobcat, and coon. With my job I can't be out chasing coon hounds all night so I think running bunnies would be a great compromise. I'm sure my lab would get jealous but he'd get over it soon enough. Thanks for the info fellas!!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Spike

There are lots of Beagle guys and Beagle clubs in Wisconsin. Do your homework, search the internet and find some of them. Go to some of the hunts/trials and watch & learn. Talk to everyone. Find out who has good, solid rabbit dogs. Or hare dogs, depending upon if you're in the south or the north.
You should be able to find plenty of litters this spring to choose from.
Whatever you do, DON'T just buy a pup from some backyard breeder through an ad in the newspaper. You'll end up disappointed. Get a pup from a reputable breeder of field-bred dogs.

Last edited by Feistman; 01-28-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I definately know what your saying about finding good hunting bloodlines. I have a buddy that has a beagle and he recommended a breeder by Trego. At least I think he said trego. Anyways his beagle is very good and I guess the breeder he is recommending has several champion hunting dogs. I think it's a shame when breeders breed the brains out of dogs for show. They take what the dog is bred for completely out of the equation. It's the same way with any hunting dog I know labs are getting bad now too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.