Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Dog Indoors or Out? That's the Question >

Dog Indoors or Out? That's the Question

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog Indoors or Out? That's the Question

Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Spike

Question Dog Indoors or Out? That's the Question

Ok so the question is does an indoor or outdoor dog make the best hunting dog (companion)? I have a 5 month english pointer and right now keep him in the garage (not crate trained) to eventually go outdoors in a kennel. He has his plastic crate because my breeder recommended it and said the wire cages torment dogs because they can see their surroundings. I do spend time with him if you're asking. But one local "obedience" trainer told me today she "feels bad" for my dog. She says it will listen to me more and hunt better if I keep him inside and be more of a family pet. She says he'll listen less if kept outside and won't bond with me. Is this true? Please help.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

I always learned that you should kennel them up outside if they have another dog with them (together or seperated, but by each other). If you have only one dog, and having them indoors is allowed, then indoor is usually better.

My dog lives indoors. Mostly in a kennel at night.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default dog

Indoor or outdoor does not make a difference in my opinion. It is all about how much time you spend with them.

That being said . . . if the dog is inside, you are going to spend alot more time with him.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Fork Horn

depends on size imho if its big outside if its small it can come inside
Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

A good hunting dog is a good hunting dog. Where he sleeps is not going to change that. Personally, I don't see how a kennel dog is a companion though as he is always in the kennel.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Fork Horn

Mine is an indoor dog along with our rescue lab. So I think it is a personal pref
Old 11-24-2009, 05:53 AM
Spike

I think a indoor dog makes a better companion, and hunting companion.
With crate training I like the plastic crates, gives them more of the den atmisphere. You could use the wire ones, just put towels over it to make it like a den.
My dogs stay mostly inside the house. They both have there own crate. The 1 yr old stays in the crate at night and the 8 yr old has free run of the house. (Not allowed on furniture) she still likes to stay in her crate and the door is removed so she can get in and out of it as she pleases.
They both stay in the kennel while i am at work.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Spike

Inside allows you to bond with them more. A very important aspect in his life
Old 11-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

A dog that is left on it's own will never establish a relationship with you the Master and friend the way a dog who is part of the family will. A dog who is kept with you in the house will be more obedient simply because you spend more time with the dog and every day the dog is made to follow commands instead of thinking for itself it's whole life except when you grant him "work-release". A dog's nose will not be ruined by having him/her in the house anymore than a dog outside who encounters burning trash, or skunk or anything else. My GSP's live in the house and are only put in their kennel when no one will be home for 8 hours. They enjoy being outside but love being with their family in the house more. The more time spent with your dog the better dog you will have. I will put my dog up against any other outside dog in the bird fields and know my dog will do exactly what he is supposed to because he wants to please me not just because it's in his breeding.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I think its just whatever you prefer, but it also depends a lot on how much time you spend with the dog. Mine stays in an outside kennel(actually indoor with a run that goes outside, but its not a heated building like a house would be) And she has all the drive and desire to please me that a dog could possibly ask for. When I first got her she spent a lot of time in the house, slept in the crate at night in the porch, etc, mainly just becasue she was only 7 weeks old, and I didn't want to leave her outside when she was that old. But now that she's older (almost 4 years) she sleeps out in the kennel. but most of the time my dogs do spend in the kennels is @ night to sleep. They get out and spend a lot of time with me, my wife, and daughter.

I've had a lot of guys that bring their dogs out that are house dogs, and they have no idea what hunting is, they walk behind their companion and don't know what's going on. BUT, like I said that has a lot to do with training and how you spend your bonding time. an indoor dog can be a great hunter, as long as its not a lap dog 40-50 weeks out of the year and then just expected to be a hunting machine when hunting season rolls around. As long as you put the time in with your dog, it should be fine no matter where you decide it will sleep. But as long as you give them a place to get out of the elements and keep warm at night they will be fine in an outdoor kennel too. It's really up to you.

Good Luck and have fun with your new pup!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.