Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Invisible fencing

Old 04-10-2003, 05:26 AM

Default Invisible fencing

I' m thinking about getting invisible fencing for my yard. Can anyone compare the Innotek brands versus the Invisible Fence company brands. My buddy swears by the Invisible Fence and says " all the others just don' t work." However, I' d prefer Innotek because it is way more inexpensive. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Invisible fencing

Personally, I don' t have anything good to say about Invisible Fences, regardless of brand. Sometimes a dog will accidently " break through" and then won' t be able to get back in your yard. Some dogs actually learn how to " bust out" . They won' t keep other animals or the BIG Rottie from down the street from coming in and eating your dog.

Sure, a nice kennel run is more expensive, but there is nothing better for containment and protection of your dog.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Doc E. Those types of fences might work keeping your dog in the yard but there is no point because of other dogs from coming into the yard.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:01 AM

Make that three.....truly a waste of your money. It is rarely affective unless started at an early age (and even then it sometimes fails).
Old 04-29-2003, 09:39 PM

Ya. I have had some friends who have lots extremely expensive dogs with those fences. I would prefer doing some labour and dig a 1 foot line through your yard and place a regular fence in it.

Hope this helps,

trc.merc.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:49 PM

I have a 6 ft. wood fence in my yard working in tandem with my Invisible Fence. The reason why is I have a Bloodhound as a breed they love to dig & chew. He never digs near the fence(anymore) & I do not have to replace boards in my fence from him eating them as well. The wood fence keeps other dogs away & ol' sparky keeps Jeb in line.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

We are thinking seriously of getting this same fence. I have two friend that have them and it was to keep their dogs (springer spaniel and doberman) from going into traffic. That is the biggest reason.... to ensure the safety of their dogs. It certainly sounds reasonable to us.....Are we missing something?
Old 05-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

My neighbor has one and hasn' t had anything good to say about them. Just from his comments, I wouldn' t personally ever buy one...
Old 05-29-2003, 11:28 AM

I have one, and I think you have to appreciate what it is that you have. Everyone is right--the fence doesn' t stop other dogs from coming onto your property, and if your dog breaks out, it keeps him from coming back.

I think the way to use the invisible fence is NOT as a regular fence, but as a " secondary barricade." In other words, if you expect the invisible fence to be as good as a regular fence, you will be disappointed, your dog will learn to break out, and it will be useless (unless you have a lap dog.) But if you use it to let the dog out for limited, semi-supervised exercise/activities, you will find the invisible fence works really well. In other words, if you expect you can leave your dog in the back yard for 10 hours while you go to work, invisible fence is not the answer. But if you use the fence to let the dog out for 10 minutes to go potty, or if you have the dog out in the yard with you while you' re working in the garden, and don' t want to watch him/her all the time, it is a good tool. As far as Invisible vs. Innotek, I dunno. I have one, cheaper that Invisible Fence, but not Innotek, I don' t think, but I can' t remember the brand name.