Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Flushing on Command?

Old 11-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Spike

Default Flushing on Command?

I have always hunted over labs and other flushers, but have a pointing breed on the way. Does anyone out here teach this. Everyone I have hunted with pointing breeds flushes the bird themselves and I really prefer to have the dog do the work. I have read in some european countries, the dogs point and flush. Any good resources out there for this subject?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

It can be done but most will shy away from it to make sure the dog does not get confused on what you want it to do. It is to easy to cross that line where the dog will start flushing instead of pointing. One way they do this is to tap the dog on the head to get it to flush. But myself I would prefer not to do this. It is just to risky and I love a good pointing dog..
Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default flush

I agree with Phil from Maine. Unless the dog is very very well trained, he is just going to start flushing before you even get to the bird. If you are buying a pup you are probably 2 years from teaching your flush command.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

I do it all the time. It is the final step in steadiness training and very handy when hunting wood**** (oh, come on... do you really need to bleep out the name of a bird) and grouse.

When you get your dog 100% steady, you will be able to relocate him with confidence that he is not going to bust the bird. If you're dealing with a running bird, you will relocate the dog on point. At some point, the bird will either flush or the dog will pin the bird. If the bird is pinned or frozen, you can try to relocate your dog, but an honest dog won't move. You know the bird is close. If I want him to flush the bird for me, I re-enforce the relocation. He understands this and will flush the bird out and then steady back up after the flush.

I don't think this is a very tough thing to do and will not effect the overall steadiness or pointing intensity of your dog assuming the steadiness work is properly done and he's honest. If your dealing with a self hunting dog that requires a great deal of pressure to steady up, it's a different story, but still doable. This is just another obedience exercise.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Spike

Agree! It can be taught. But ONLY after the dog is very cinfident and well seasoned on handling birds. This cannot be trained too early as it will confuse him and start causing him to bust in on birds. Forget about it for now and focus on the joy of his staunch point.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

lately our grouse and pheasants that are left have learned a new trick.they dont stay put while pointing dog is on point.they sneak off and then fly like 50 yds away from point.its funny, i was thinking of english setter because i thought pointing dog was easier to get grouse or pheasant, it was but now THEY RUN THEN FLY.

toby my lab puts grouse/pheasants up into air within about 20 yds of me because he is FLUSHER BEFORE THEY START TO RUN.those wise old birds are learning how to survive.problem is i have to have my shotgun ready at all times and flush scares the h out of you at times.MY ARMS GET TIRED HOLDING GUN UP IN READY POSITION as flush is quick and exciting,for sure.

just some things to think about
Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
lately our grouse and pheasants that are left have learned a new trick.they dont stay put while pointing dog is on point.they sneak off and then fly like 50 yds away from point.its funny, i was thinking of english setter because i thought pointing dog was easier to get grouse or pheasant, it was but now THEY RUN THEN FLY.

toby my lab puts grouse/pheasants up into air within about 20 yds of me because he is FLUSHER BEFORE THEY START TO RUN.those wise old birds are learning how to survive.problem is i have to have my shotgun ready at all times and flush scares the h out of you at times.MY ARMS GET TIRED HOLDING GUN UP IN READY POSITION as flush is quick and exciting,for sure.

just some things to think about
An experienced pointing dog will take this into account. Rarely will the birds flush, but they will often move off. This is one reason I like having my dog work close by (under 75 yards) when hunting grouse. Otherwise, the amount of time that it takes to get to the dog; the grouse has moved off quite a ways. I will still get a shot at the bird, but it takes a while to track it down. If the dog is getting too close so that the bird flushes off, he needs more experience.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with mustad on the grouse and the like. A good conditioned pointing dog will keep with the bird until the bird holds up.. I do disagree with some of the remarks about a good conditioned dog however. I have seen from my own experience that a conditioned dog will still do thing that are unexpected. One of mine in fact did. He went from a good pointing dog to a good pointing dog as well as catcher. I had to break him of his catching issues and that was very hard to do. The first time he flushed great and then the next thing you know.. He was catching some birds on his own. That is something I truely disliked and had to break him of it.He caught 4 birds the first year of this so called flushing.. He caught 1 the next year and I still have to keep a watchfull eye on him. So IMO it is far from worth the bother but others have had some success with it..
Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Hi Phil,

I mean no offense by this, but I would argue that your dog was not 100% finished. This really has nothing to do with pointing and all to do with steadiness. The dog needs to understand that this is a command. In fact, it should take some time to accomplish. When I say 100% steady, I mean the dog doesn't move; end of story. You should be able to attach a lead to the dog and put decent pressure on him and he will resist.

When I first ask my dog to flush, he doesn't do it. I am asking him to perform an un-natural act. I need to re-enforce it. At first the dog is apprehensive to do it, but after a while, he understands what he is being asked to do.

If anything, I have found this improves the pointing intensity of a dog that lacks. The dog learns there is a chance of him being allowed to go after the bird; which gets them pumped up.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I mean no offense either, but he was very steady on command. Even on his early hunts at a bird farm for training purposes he was in fact very steady. He needed freshening up on his retrieving skills. At 1 1/2 years old he was performing like a dog that was 4 to 5 years old. They were very impressed with him and the way he had hunted. Staying in close until told to go out a little farther and ect.. He was hunting just ringnecks on the farm with a few quail at that time.
Teaching a dog to flush has a lot to do with instint in the dog as well as the attitude the dog has.. ( the personality ). It also has ruined a lot more hunting dogs than most realize.. It is not something that I would recommend especialy if they plan on field trialing the dog..
Also the same thing with mine he flatly refused to flush a bird out. It was some thing I had to keep after.. That was a wrong move on my part. As for reasons stated above. As with someone new trying to teach a dog to simply point is a task all by itself at times..
But can it be done? Yes, I have seen some that can do both but it is not really recommended overall..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.