HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   best bang for the buck puppy food (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/307209-best-bang-buck-puppy-food.html)

mreed_86 10-18-2009 05:24 PM

best bang for the buck puppy food

I just switched my lab pup from diamond puppy to nutro max puppy bc diamond was tearing her stomach up i was wondering if any body has any advice on which puppy food is the best bang for my buck I don't want to go cheap but I can't afford to buy $3/lb dog either any advice would be greatly appreciated

JW 10-18-2009 06:24 PM

I have always used Purina

JW

to far gone 10-18-2009 06:49 PM

Over 20 years of feeding Purina never had a problem.
I have tried other brands to try and save money, but always wind up going back to Purina.

Swampdog 10-19-2009 01:36 AM

Like said above I have always used Purina.I may do it wrong ,But I get That powdered milk calf supplement put some on the puppy chow and use it the first year.Then I feed just puppy chow for the next 8 months to a year .Then on to regular dog chow.I can tell the difference in size and build.Most of mine never did like the Purina Hi-Pro stuff though.

Cessna Flyer 10-19-2009 02:54 AM

I started feeding Purina but my dog was/is allergic to wheat, so to Royal Canin until recently when I switch to Sportmix Premium. but while he was a puppy is was Royal Canin puppy large breed.

sportsman22 10-19-2009 06:50 AM

I use Native. Google Native Dog Food. They give you a list of dealers on their website.

Cheers
Brad

birddog3412 10-19-2009 12:41 PM

feed

I have fed purina, diamond, iams, and several others. I ussually have 5 adult dogs, (pointers and one Chessie) and a couple litters of pointer pups a year.

Last February/March I tried diamond extreme athlete, it was around $30 for a 37lb bag, for the price I was not impressed.

I have been feeding Red Flannel Prime for about 8 months now, it is $23 for a 50lb bag. they keep a card for you and every 6 bags you buy you get one free. Also it is recommended for all life stages so I do not have to worry about having two different kinds of feed when I have a litter on the ground.

I think that for a $20 a bag dog food it is pretty good. Somebody might say they will not feed Red flannel because they have had recalls, but you find me a dog food company who hasnt. Diamond, Purina, and all the other big companies have also.

I have a good friend (he has Brittanys)who has been feeding Sportmix for over a year and is very happy with it also.

birddog3412 10-19-2009 12:44 PM

purina

All you guys who say Purina, What kind of Purina? The Walmart Purina, or Purina Pro Plan?

to far gone 10-19-2009 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by birddog3412 (Post 3477688)
All you guys who say Purina, What kind of Purina? The Walmart Purina, or Purina Pro Plan?

Pro Plan.
I also tried the diamond extreme athlete, gave one dog the runs.

halfbakedi420 10-19-2009 03:52 PM

Up Dawg is the best