Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
best bang for the buck puppy food >

best bang for the buck puppy food

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

best bang for the buck puppy food

Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Read this-

http://www.dogtorj.net/id110.html
Old 11-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BetterBirddogs
Personally from talking to numerous field trial buddys and dog food reps puppy food is one of the biggest rip offs out there. One guy told me his company makes puppy food for people who don't know any better and think they need to feed their pup a special. They make a killing off it too. I don't feed puppy food at all. I start my pups out on a diamond high energy. I don't think its the best either but I live in bfe so my options are limited. Proplan and Iams both are horrible.

If I didn't have to drive 2 hours to get it I'd feed Black Gold. Its about as good a dogfood as there is out there.
Also I don't feed much actual dog food. I supplement with raw deer scraps. If you can feed raw meat as part of your diet I would definitely do it. Most butchers will almost give scraps away. We usually shoot 8-10 deer per year so I almost never run out but if I do I head to the butcher shop.

Also I would never feed anything much over 26% protein. Most dogs have a hard time digesting high levels of artificial protein.
Here's a man in the know. Mine are started on what I'm feeding the grown dogs at the time (River Run 24/20). I put a little milk over it until their mouths are strong enough to break the pieces easily.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Spike

I read that article n I think my dog and I are going on a strictly meat n homegrown veggie diet lol
Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

I've ben feeding Purina ONE for the last few years and really like it. It's about 28$ for a 35 Lb bag
Old 01-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

I always read the ingredients first. I fed Pro Plan to my dog for her first two years, then switched, then switched again. She hates it. Foods I've fed my dog, Purina One (bad), Brandon Farms before they jacked the price to $27/5lb bag (Yes, it costs that much), several Wolf brands (natural, good, $25/10lb), Chef Micheal's (okay, $11/8lb), several Instinct (natural, good, $25/10lb), and several others. I always buy small bags for variety or the little bratty princess just won't touch her food.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I find for my dogs I can not go wrong with eagle pack dog food.. They make quite a varity that can fit most all your dog's needs. It is good for their digestion as well.. As Mite has stated read the ingredients in it before you buy it..
Old 01-02-2010, 12:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Food left dry, left there long enough, and when the dog is hungry they will eat!

But I feed ProPlan and have for yrs. My Dog's do great and is my way of paying back an Organization that helps the dog association I belong too!

JW
Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Good Foods

I talked to my dogs Vet and she told me to check the ingridients of the food you plan to purchase. Any food that the 1st and main ingridient is "beef" or "chicken" is a good one. Stay away from foods where the forst ingridient is "chicken parts" or "chicken byproducts" Also for weight control high vegetable foods are best.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Spike

ditto on the black gold,best food ive ever fed but i gotta go hours away to get it.i have tried kenny o's, diamond,pride,purina,high standard,southrn states advance,and many others.black gold was the best and then there was kenny o's then high standard.
i also agree on the puppy thing.i have raised hounds all my life and all get 26-18 feed
Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Spike

Default Food

I choose Raw but that's not exactly cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.