Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
best bang for the buck puppy food >

best bang for the buck puppy food

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

best bang for the buck puppy food

Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Spike

for now I think I'm going to stick to nutro max puppy she seems to like it quite a bit it's only $34/35 lbs and since I switched her from diamond puppy to nutro she hasnt had the runs which is a major plus unless somebody knows something I don't about nutro but I appreciate all the advice
Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 7+ year old Springer and have been feeding him Artemis. It comes in puppy, adult and feed for older dogs. A premium dog food that has treated my buddy very well. I pay $31.99/15 pounds. It was originally recommended by our Vet because he is such an active dog. . I would recommend checking it out.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Spike

I use eukanuba it's pricey but it last longer the dogs don't gobble it up because it give them what they need and the stools are never runny you can give a mix of the eukanuba with their regular stuff to make it last longer
Old 10-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

i too like puina but i dont no i u have it where u live but when the dog gets older try the tastes of the wild dog food comes in deer with bison or in waterfowl flavor excelent for the coat and digestion i swear by it
Old 10-23-2009, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

The $/lb argument is not a valid means of compairson. In order to get a real idea of cost comparison, you need to take a monthly look at the cost of feed.

I didn't buy off on it either, but it makes sense if you actually look at it and try it.

A feed that costs twice as much where you use half as much as your current brand will end up costing the same over a month. The question is, can you use half of a higher end feed than what you are currently using? That depends on your dog. My dogs eat the same amount of Diamond that they would Eagle Pack or Peukanuba. In order to cut them down, I need to get them on the ultra high protein models (Evo, Orijen, etc...)

That said, a lot of these high end dog feeds are too rich for many dogs and end up causing issues on the back end which are unpleasant, both to smell and to clean up if done in the house.

Personally, I have gone the route of feeding raw meaty bones, which ends up costing me about $ 20- $25/dog/month... which was the equivalent of feeding Diamond High Energy.

If I were to feed kibble, I would opt for a mid level proven feed like ProPlan.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mustad
The $/lb argument is not a valid means of compairson. In order to get a real idea of cost comparison, you need to take a monthly look at the cost of feed.

I didn't buy off on it either, but it makes sense if you actually look at it and try it.

A feed that costs twice as much where you use half as much as your current brand will end up costing the same over a month. The question is, can you use half of a higher end feed than what you are currently using? That depends on your dog. My dogs eat the same amount of Diamond that they would Eagle Pack or Peukanuba. In order to cut them down, I need to get them on the ultra high protein models (Evo, Orijen, etc...)

That said, a lot of these high end dog feeds are too rich for many dogs and end up causing issues on the back end which are unpleasant, both to smell and to clean up if done in the house.

Personally, I have gone the route of feeding raw meaty bones, which ends up costing me about $ 20- $25/dog/month... which was the equivalent of feeding Diamond High Energy.

If I were to feed kibble, I would opt for a mid level proven feed like ProPlan.

Good luck.
I will agree with you on comparing the price per month. For someone who only has one dog, price probably with not even be an issue. I also think we all have to agree that most all dogs have different eating habits. As well as owners having different feeding habits (1 feeding per day, 2 per day, or self feed for the dog).

I tried Diamond Extreme Athlete last year (32% protien 28 % fat) thinking that I would be able to feed less and either save a little money or it would cost me the same amount of money and my dogs would get a better feed. So this did not work for me, not saying it doesnt work, just not in this case. I also do not want my dogs eating a different kind of feed every month. I will probably try something similar after hunting season this year.

I have also talked to a few guys who feed something cheap in the summer and a high end feed during hunting season. Not saying I agree with it, but different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:18 AM
Spike

I feed my lab Eukanuba. It's expensive but if you buy the big bags (40 lb) it's just over $1/lb ($45/bag). I love it because they make foods for different breeds. They make a large breed puppy formula which I use and then they make an adult lab formula which I will soo switch to. I think it's excellent quality for the price.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mreed_86
I just switched my lab pup from diamond puppy to nutro max puppy bc diamond was tearing her stomach up i was wondering if any body has any advice on which puppy food is the best bang for my buck I don't want to go cheap but I can't afford to buy $3/lb dog either any advice would be greatly appreciated

I use Purina Pro Plan!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Spike

Purina Pro Plan works the best for us
Old 11-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Personally from talking to numerous field trial buddys and dog food reps puppy food is one of the biggest rip offs out there. One guy told me his company makes puppy food for people who don't know any better and think they need to feed their pup a special. They make a killing off it too. I don't feed puppy food at all. I start my pups out on a diamond high energy. I don't think its the best either but I live in bfe so my options are limited. Proplan and Iams both are horrible.

If I didn't have to drive 2 hours to get it I'd feed Black Gold. Its about as good a dogfood as there is out there.
Also I don't feed much actual dog food. I supplement with raw deer scraps. If you can feed raw meat as part of your diet I would definitely do it. Most butchers will almost give scraps away. We usually shoot 8-10 deer per year so I almost never run out but if I do I head to the butcher shop.

Also I would never feed anything much over 26% protein. Most dogs have a hard time digesting high levels of artificial protein.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.