Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

11 week old lab

Old 10-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Spike

Default 11 week old lab

I just bought an 11 week old female yellow lab and I was wondering if anybody has any tips on how to get her started on hunting
Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

Obedience is the first, get her going on sit,stay, heal. What are your plans for her on hunting? ducks? upland? I started by using the book Waterdog by Richard Wolters. go slow and don't make your training sesions to long, 5-10 minutes while she is young.
Congrats on your new pup.
where are you located?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default pup

Do not start any serious training. Just let her chase a wing on a fishing pole.
Try to develop her natural retrieve by thowing a tennis ball and just let her carry it around
Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Spike

I'm wanting to just have a good all around retriever I live in north Texas in bridgeport n thank you for the tips
Old 10-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

As mentioned, don't really think of any type of formal training until you can get the dog to listen and respond correctly to your obedience commands. Your main focus should be setting the tone for the dog as far as it's boundaries and getting it to listen to you when and how it's told too. Lots of time to get the rest done. Way too many dogs get started before they should and they lose interest due to things not being any fun and them being overstressed. You have to remeber that dogs have maturity levels just like kids...some start sooner than others, but for the most part, you want common obedience commands down pat and the dog to know who's in charge before you start asking it too much too soon.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default new pup

here is a couple of pics of our new red Australian cattledog as our previous dog was 11 but the vet reckon he had a brain tumor since he had cancer b4.our old dog was the best dog we ever had.this new pup was born on the 18th of august this year and is a little champ.He is a great pup and has alot of energy for a pup.When he gets to about 6 months i m going to take him out hunting with me .i hope he love chasing rabbits he does show interest in them so hopefully he is a good hunting dog
Attached Thumbnails 11 week old lab-buster.jpg   11 week old lab-busters-brothers-sisters.jpg   11 week old lab-busters-mum.jpg  

Last edited by bush_pig; 10-12-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bush_pig
here is a couple of pics of our new red Australian cattledog as our previous dog was 11 but the vet reckon he had a brain tumor since he had cancer b4.our old dog was the best dog we ever had.this new pup was born on the 18th of august this year and is a little champ.He is a great pup and has alot of energy for a pup.When he gets to about 6 months i m going to take him out hunting with me .i hope he love chasing rabbits he does show interest in them so hopefully he is a good hunting dog
I have had several Australian cattle dogs, they are good companions and great for herding cattle and hogs. Never tried (or even thought about trying) to train one to hunt, they are herding dogs, and good at what they were bred to do.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

yea ours is turning out to be a good guard dog and goin to take him out rabbiting as he shows interests
Old 10-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

I would suggest getting a good book on dog obedience training.
This is so that you can be trained how to train a dog.
Once you got that down pat be consistent on your tone of voice and what you mean when you communicate with your dog.Like No is no and YES is yes.
The hunting part, some dogs will take it naturally some have to be tutored.
You can tell a natural flushing puppy will like to chase Robins or other birds in the field.
You can encourage this on walks. If you have a friend who have a good flushing dog try to apprentice your dog with this good hunter on field walks.
Retrieving.... Most labs are natural retrievers and all you do is encourage them to bring it to you.Do all the serious stuff like come and retrieving with a CHECK CORD to let the dog understand you have control at all times, when your voice say so.It should be light enough that he won't notice the difference whether it's on or off with him having a collar all the time.
Trailing... with a dead game you can drag an unseen trail and let him find it by following
the scent, once found the same bird can be used for retrieving training.
Flushing game...with a live bird drag a scent trail which ends up on bird in a trap.The trap has to have a means to open the door when the dog is there so he can see it fly away, when he is very close.If he catches the bird that's fine.It will at least teach him there is a bird at the end of the scent.
You can start with the fun and games to simulate hunting anytime just don't make it too serious that he will lost interest.Always end any training with fun play.
Introduce noise ... while he is busy or playing to prepare him to the sound of gunshot later.I hope this helps.
Good luck,
louie
Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

everyone here said it all.FORGET hunting and teach what they said above.after he/she has learned that the hunting will come natural.take flashlight, those million power rechargeable ones.use SPROULS training method go to school or some other place that has LOTS of rabbits.rabbits like to come out at night more than day and you will see lots.take spotlight and put it on rabbit.have your lab on leash.say,SIT.AFTER HE SITS ,say RABBIT and let him off leash.keep the light on rabbit as your dog chases it.

few times and he will hunt.after you flush a pheasant or grouse, say BIRD.AFTER 2 yrs your lab will know difference between rabbit/bird when you say that word.

SPROULS TRAINING ADVICE is best you will ever get and no shock collar will ever be needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.