Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Choosing a birddog breed???? >

Choosing a birddog breed????

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Choosing a birddog breed????

Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mustad
I would place a call into a guy in Boise named Bob Farris. Tell him you found his number written on the local Wal-Mart bathroom wall (it's an inside joke between him and I).

Bob is the largest breeder of Pudelpointers in North America. You would have a very difficult time finding anyone in Idaho who hunts more birds than him. He'll give you a perspective from a great breeder who hunts a ton in your area.

A DD would also be an excellent choice and totally agree with what you say about their breeding goals.

Good luck
Couldn't be happier with my Pudelpointer. Call Bob....he'll at least lead you in the right direction for a versatile breed if the PP isn't up your alley.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wlfdg
I have narrowed it down to the VDD. I like their breeding goals very much. I tend to be very anti-AKC. The breeds versatility is very appealing as I enjoy rabbit, hare and bird hunting. The athleticism is a must since my dogs mountain bike and backcountry ski with me. There a quite a few breeders within a days drive of my home.
This is the second time you mention the breeding goals of the VDD. The breeding goals of the VDD are almost identical to those of the VPP (Verein Pudelpointer), the VDL (Verein Deutsch Langhaar), VDK (Verein Deutsche Kurzhaar) and others.

They are based on the use of the JGHV as the testing system along with various breed confirmation aspects. With the exception of the VDK, I believe the only difference between the goals and regulations of each club are in the confirmation aspects given the breed confirmation is not the same between each breed.

I think getting the FCI pedigree is a great idea (which is what you will get if you purchase a pup from any of these breed clubs) as it allows you to play in virtually any game you want (JGHV, NAVHDA, AF, NSTRA, CKC, AKC, etc...)

I bring this up only for you to realize that the breeding goals are really not a differentiator among the breeds.

The DD is a great breed and I have many friends that own them. The VDD is the largest of the JGHV based breed clubs anywhere; which is probably why you find breeders in your area. However, if you find that another breed is a better fit for you; you should be able to find a breeder or group of breeders with the same goal as those of the VDD.

Good luck.

Last edited by mustad; 09-29-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mustad
This is the second time you mention the breeding goals of the VDD. The breeding goals of the VDD are almost identical to those of the VPP (Verein Pudelpointer), the VDL (Verein Deutsch Langhaar), VDK (Verein Deutsche Kurzhaar) and others.

They are based on the use of the JGHV as the testing system along with various breed confirmation aspects. With the exception of the VDK, I believe the only difference between the goals and regulations of each club are in the confirmation aspects given the breed confirmation is not the same between each breed.

I think getting the FCI pedigree is a great idea (which is what you will get if you purchase a pup from any of these breed clubs) as it allows you to play in virtually any game you want (JGHV, NAVHDA, AF, NSTRA, CKC, AKC, etc...)

I bring this up only for you to realize that the breeding goals are really not a differentiator among the breeds.

The DD is a great breed and I have many friends that own them. The VDD is the largest of the JGHV based breed clubs anywhere; which is probably why you find breeders in your area. However, if you find that another breed is a better fit for you; you should be able to find a breeder or group of breeders with the same goal as those of the VDD.

Good luck.
I mean no offense, really.

In the quote you chose I laid out my reasons for choosing to focus on the VDD. I realize that there are other breeds/breeders focused on similar goals.

The close proximity is a big motivator. Bob Farris and Chris Clark are within driving distance but live clear across the state from me. Which is a 2 day drive really.

There are VDD breeders in Evanston and Rock Springs,WY. That's less than 6 hrs. There are 2 in Ogden,UT. That's under 6 hrs. from me as well.

It seems to me the VDD is a good fit. I'm not new to the dog world. Heck I'm not new to the bird dog world either. Just not current on all that is going on in it. The Langhaar has the same kind of coat as a Setter. Not good in powder snow. I've seen many shorthaired dogs like the Kurzhaar, shiver uncontrollably in our cold regardless what others say about it. I am a professional backcountry skier and my dogs go skiing with me. I'm sure the Pudelpointer is a great dog! It certainly has a great coat. Like I said above, Bob Farris is in Boise and Chris Clark is in McCall. That's 3-4 days round trip as opposed to 1 day round trip. I live on the Wyoming/Idaho border. Literally!

I truly appreciate your recommendations and your time.
Thank You
Old 09-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Wlfdg
Howdy All, I have worked with all types and breeds of dogs for a variety of uses. One thing I have never done is choose a working breed for my own purposes.

How do you choose a breed/pup from so many options? I do live in a very cold, mountainous place!

Thanks!
When I look at your quote (although I do in fact realize you have stated more) you asked a question on how we pick our bird dogs.. It seems apparent to me that you really have asked a wrong question. As it appears to me you already have known what you want. I also realize over here in Me. we have our share of deep snow. Just like the pic I posted with those setters running in dog sled races. For some unknown reason they actually win alot of the races they are in.. I guess you must be right snow bothers them.. But my question to you is why did you ask a question about how we choose our birddogs when in fact you do not appear to want any of the answers..
Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Phil, My question evolved as time went on. JW and birddog3412 got me pointed in the direction of a wirehaired breed. Then I started doing my research. Which narrowed my focus down to what I was looking for and what was available to me in my general area. This narrowed my view down to the VDD due to the combination of desirable qualities and proximity of breeders. Which I stated in a previous post. Then I followed up with a question of choosing gender which I am still pondering on.

I know Maine has deep snow. Sleddogs rarely race in deep powder snow. Backcountry skiing is very different than mushing. No groomed trails for the dogs to run on.

Thanks very much for your time.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

All dogs shiver no matter what the coat length is.....their way of keeping warm on cold wet days.

I have owned & trained both male and female. Had good and bad with both sexes as some where harder to train than others.

But lately I prefer a female and a spayed one at that. I am not a breeder but just a hunter.

Males have a tendency to mark their territory more. I have found females a bit harder to train than males.

But that is just me and my opinion.

JW
Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW!
All dogs shiver no matter what the coat length is.....their way of keeping warm on cold wet days.

I have owned & trained both male and female. Had good and bad with both sexes as some where harder to train than others.

But lately I prefer a female and a spayed one at that. I am not a breeder but just a hunter.

Males have a tendency to mark their territory more. I have found females a bit harder to train than males.

But that is just me and my opinion.

JW
Thanks JW!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I must remind myself not to post on your threads anymore.. I know you know that Maine is nothing more than packed trail and the like.. With over 200 inches of snow the last 2 years here it surely must all be packed..
Take care and good luck...

I often wondered why I do not see Might, Doc E, Jonsey, just to name a few that no longer post on here..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-30-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I must remind myself not to post on your threads anymore.. I know you know that Maine is nothing more than packed trail and the like.. With over 200 inches of snow the last 2 years here it surely must all be packed..
Take care and good luck...

I often wondered why I do not see Might, Doc E, Jonsey, just to name a few that no longer post on here..
Thanks Phil! Sorry I some how disappointed you. I meant no offense.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

My best dog for Pheasant and Grouse is a black labrador retriever who is currently 16 yrs old and still hunting but getting slooow.
He has been kenneled outside all his life and sleeps in an insulated box attached to a building.
I live in Ontario,Canada and it gets cold enough out here.
He has never been sick and just flushed birds(robins,field birds, etc. naturally when he was a pup. I would say my vote is for a Black Lab with bird dog genetics(pheasant hunting background).My other choice is a Springer Spaniel or a Golden Retriever. This dogs are adapted to cold weather. There are some Labs that points also. I found that out unexpectedly with my NEW dog.
Good luck on your quest.

Last edited by huntrfishr; 10-23-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.