Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Choosing a birddog breed???? >

Choosing a birddog breed????

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Choosing a birddog breed????

Old 09-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default dogs

I would advise you to go with some type of wirehaired dog if you want a pointing dog. Or a Cheasapeake bay retriever if you want a retriever. Cheasapeakes love the cold, they have gotten a bad rap about there temperment. Mine is great with people and other dogs.
My pointers do just fine in South Dakota every year. Sure they are a little cold to begin with, but once they get to moving they are fine. Daytime temps are anywhere from -20 F to 30 F. I put a neoprene vest on them and they are great.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by birddog3412
I would advise you to go with some type of wirehaired dog if you want a pointing dog.
Thanks! Advice well taken!
I think I am going to focus on studying the pedigrees of the Verein Deutsch Drahthaar. I really like the goals of the VDD-GNA in their breeding programs and there are a number of breeders within driving distance of me. I think it would be an ideal dog for my energy level. Perhaps in a spring or two I will have my pup and future hunting/life companion. Have a lot to learn in the meantime!!!!!!!

Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

I would place a call into a guy in Boise named Bob Farris. Tell him you found his number written on the local Wal-Mart bathroom wall (it's an inside joke between him and I).

Bob is the largest breeder of Pudelpointers in North America. You would have a very difficult time finding anyone in Idaho who hunts more birds than him. He'll give you a perspective from a great breeder who hunts a ton in your area.

A DD would also be an excellent choice and totally agree with what you say about their breeding goals.

Good luck
Old 09-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default dog

I believe there was an episode of "American Gundog" that fetured Bob Farris. I know the guy was in Boise, and am pretty sure about the name.

He appears to have a very tried and true program.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mustad
I would place a call into a guy in Boise named Bob Farris. Tell him you found his number written on the local Wal-Mart bathroom wall (it's an inside joke between him and I).

Bob is the largest breeder of Pudelpointers in North America. You would have a very difficult time finding anyone in Idaho who hunts more birds than him. He'll give you a perspective from a great breeder who hunts a ton in your area.

A DD would also be an excellent choice and totally agree with what you say about their breeding goals.

Good luck
Thanks much! I'll do that. Wal-Mart eh? O.K.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen alot of Brittanies hunting up here as well as several other breeds including a german shorthaired pointer. They all do good in thier own way. I concider the fact if you have children at home or not also as well as the shedding aspect. I am one that chooses the Irish Setters because of teenage children and the dogs attitude. I love the way they hunt, one is a flusher locater and the other is a pointer and both retrieves good for me.. So that is something you yourself have to decide on what you like in a birddog..
Old 09-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Phil! No kids here and shedding is a non-issue as I already have two sleddogs in the house. Dog hair is already everywhere.

I have narrowed it down to the VDD. I like their breeding goals very much. I tend to be very anti-AKC. The breeds versatility is very appealing as I enjoy rabbit, hare and bird hunting. The athleticism is a must since my dogs mountain bike and backcountry ski with me. There a quite a few breeders within a days drive of my home.

My next decision is deciding on a breeder and picking a gender?
I've heard males train easier? Any thoughts on gender choice?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well then that's OK, but here is something that is a little versatile that I am not sure if you are aware of or not. You see the irish does need lots of exercise..they love the water... Dog sledding is just a past time for them..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-27-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

That's a great pic Phil! Love it! Thanks for sharing.

I am very much a fan of the Irish Setter! I'm part Irish for one. My best friends growing up had 3 of them and we shot a lot of birds, squirrels and rabbits over them. They swam in some very cold water to retrieve ducks and geese to our hands. One of their dogs in particular took it upon herself to school my first bird dog (a GSP) in the ways of the trade. They are very near and dear to my heart. They were our companions on many adventures.

The downsides are;
1. Dogs with their coat type have a horrible time with painful snowballs in our deep powder snow.

Wire haired breeds do quite well here.

2. Many are registered with the AKC, whom I am very much not a fan of! IMO-Vanity breeding on any level is disgusting and criminal!

I am very much in agreement with the breeding goals of the VDD-GNA.

3. There are no breeders close to me that I have found.

There are 9 VDD-GNA breeders within a days drive of me. Experiencing dogs (parents) and puppies first hand is important to me. I'm not new to dogs just out of practice in raising and training a bird dog.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:31 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Wlfdg - sent you a PM.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.