Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Choosing a birddog breed???? >

Choosing a birddog breed????

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Choosing a birddog breed????

Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Question Choosing a birddog breed????

Howdy All, I have worked with all types and breeds of dogs for a variety of uses. One thing I have never done is choose a working breed for my own purposes.
I have had rather unexpected luck with an unlikely candidate for a bird dog. If any of you have seen my Opening season thread you know that my "bird dog" is a Chinook X Alaskan Husky/ Timberwolf male who I have not trained (except off leash obedience) at all. He learned everything from a buddies Visla, including his latest trick, retrieving. On our last outing he bested the Visla 11 birds to 3 .
Before my WD is too old I would like to get a pup for he and I to train. I have experience with (1 each) a GSP, Brittany, Visla, Springer, Gordon Setter, a few labs and Irish Setters. They were all amazing dogs in their own right.

How do you choose a breed/pup from so many options? I do live in a very cold, mountainous place!

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default dogs

Alot of variables: What do you hunt the most, What type of cover, to an extent do you prefer a pointer, flusher, retriever.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Alot of variables:
What do you hunt the most?
I mostly hunt Ruffed and Dusky Grouse. Would also like to hunt Huns, Chukars and Pheasant.

What type of cover?
Tight cover in the timber and willow bottoms.Also some sage hills.

to an extent do you prefer a pointer, flusher, retriever?
No real preference right now. I have hunted over all of them. My WD just flushes. It's pretty fast and furious. He just surprisingly, retrieved a bird. Might like a dog that points though?
Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Choosing a versatile pointing dog breed can be done with some research. The most popular is the GSP - but with a cold climate you might want to consider a German Wirehair or a Wirehaired Griffon or a Pudel Pointer.

However what breed you pick is purely up to you. Any dog, as you found out, can be trained to hunt.

But today's versatile breeds - well they are bred for certain hunting characteristics such as conformation, pointing, demeanor, desire - lots of things are looked at.

Aftere you have narrowed down to a few breeds call the folks the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Assoc as they might be able to give you a list of breeders for just about any pointing breed in your area.

NAVHDA's [hilosphy is to help you train your own versatile pointing dog on both land and water and this is accomplished at the NAVHDA chapter level.

Google - NAVHDA.org

Or drop me a PM.

My breed of choice is the GWP. Trained to hunt on both land and water as stated above.

JW

Last edited by JW; 09-18-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks JW!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default dog

From what you say I would recomend a gsp, viszla or their wirehaired cousin. A Brittney might also be a good choice.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard good things about english setters for grouse. Of course, (obviously) my choice would be Vizsla!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies!
I've been doing a bit of reading and considering. Tell me what you think please?
It gets REAL COLD here and winter starts in Oct/Nov and can run into June. Temps can get well below zero. So short coated dogs are out. My buddy's Visla freezes in temps my dogs are still panting in.
So I'm thinking wirehairs or setters?

I'm super athletic! I'm a professional backcountry skier and spend most of my life in the mountains all year round. So a dog that needs a lot exercise is a plus. My dogs are my companions and go with me pretty much everywhere, unless it is very warm out.

In my limited experience it seems the GWP is a heartier dog than the Setter. Am I correct on this?

GWP's and English Setters are real popular here. Haven't seen any Brittany Spaniels that were hunting dogs. Just house pets. Has to be a reason?

I have a very laid back disposition and don't get too excited over dog stuff. Not as tolerant of people as I am of dogs. I have had great success training dogs all my life.

I want to take my time, do the most with the dog I have and use him to get the next dog going in the right direction. I got very lucky with my bird hunting WD and it re-ignited the bird hunting flame in me. I know getting a well bred pup could take a while and I'm great with that as I have a ton to learn myself as well as steer my WD in the right direction.

Plus I have to ease into this with the lady of the house.

IYO- Which would you choose if you were me? What gender and why?

Last edited by Wlfdg; 09-18-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

JW said it, do the research as you are doing now, and for the life of me I do not know why you are saying short coated dogs are out yes it gets cold in Idaho, it get cold in allot of other places also. There are a couple breeds that do very well in the cold and their coat is short, dense for insulation and sheds water pretty darn good.
Is there any breeders of GWP or setters near you? best folks to talk to about the breed. If possible, is there anyone you know that owns any of the dogs you are thinking of? go on a hunt with them see first hand.

For myself, I think, no I know I have the best of both worlds, I have a Lab that points, he also doesn't hesitate to get in the water when it is freezing and he has ice hanging off his tail and whiskers. In the upland field it he is just a joy to watch. Yes I am partial to Labs, I have hunted them up in North Eastern California, to the East Coast now and had no issues with the climate.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cessna Flyer
for the life of me I do not know why you are saying short coated dogs are out yes it gets cold in Idaho, it get cold in allot of other places also. There are a couple breeds that do very well in the cold and their coat is short, dense for insulation and sheds water pretty darn good.

Good luck.
Because I have seen first hand dogs like GSP's, Visla, English/American Pointers, Wiemaraners and even Labs shivering just in everyday life here. In Dec.'07 the warmest day we had for the month was -8F. Temps like that are common in winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.