Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

beagle questions

Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Spike

Default beagle questions

Ive got a beagle that is a little over a year old and ive been training her for a while by dragging a dead rabbit or a scent covered sock through the woods and then letting her go find it.She seems to find the rabbit everytime and gets real excited but she never tounges when she is searching.Will she begin tounging when she sight chases(ive never had a chance to let her sight chase due to their not being any training pens aroubd here).Will she tounge when she strikes up a rabbit or am i doing somthing wrong?thank you!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Spike

Forget the dead rabbits and training scents. They're not doing her any good.
Get her out on wild rabbits. She's plenty old enough for them. She'll open up soon enough.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Spike

Hey Feisteman right forget about the dead rabbit.I have 8 beagles and all of mind start hunting on their own some buy the time they were 10 months old.All i did was walk them around and old cutover around by the house when i got off work in the evenings within 2 or 3 weeks they were hot on the trail good luck!!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Spike

I would say that it can't hurt to train her with a dead rabbit or scent. She may not get excited enough to bark, but I wouldn't worry about it. If you can, do what Brian and Feistman said and get her on wild rabbits. If that is not an easy option, you might try using a tame rabbit in a rolling cage (to protect the rabbit). Either way, once she sees a live rabbit I bet she will bark.
I have sort of the same problem you do, because I don't have anywhere closer than an hour drive to hunt my beagles. And the closest rabbit pen I know of that I have access to is even further. But all my dogs have barked and chased once they saw a live bunny.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Spike

If shes a little over a year now and not barkin then your going to have to borrow someone elses older and exsperienced female dog. If she don't start barkin then after runnin a few weeks with that dog then your dog ain't no count.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

You can live trap a rabbit, release it right in front of her and see what happens.
If she doesn't open up get a new dog.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Spike

Get that dog in the woods
Old 11-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntrfishr
You can live trap a rabbit, release it right in front of her and see what happens.
If she doesn't open up get a new dog.
Good idea.