Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Super Black Eagle

Old 05-14-2003, 07:16 AM

Default Super Black Eagle

I bought a Benelli SBE last year for my all around shotgun. I bought it mostly for waterfowl but I also hunt atleast one weekend of dove and another for quail. I was told to shoot a couple boxes of 3" before shooting light loads for dove to break the gun in. It did have issues on the dove hunt but I was not concerned since I knew that it would be broke in during duck season. I shot a couple boxes through it during duck season and a handfull of 3 1/2 during goose hunting. I then took it on a quail hunt with light loads and still had jamming problems. The gun is not actually jamming, it seems that maybe the cheap dove light loads I was using might not have the power to work the action. Anyone else having any problems?

Old 05-14-2003, 08:04 AM

Default RE: Super Black Eagle

High brass casings or Low brass?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:17 AM

I have a remington 11-87sp, and it has had issues with one speicific winchester load. Its a low brass load, and I do not think it has enough umpf to operate the actoin on my gun. I think will take a little time to figure ou which load works best in your gun for dove hunting.

Old 05-14-2003, 10:52 AM

IMHO - shooting low brass shells is inviting a hang-up.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:30 PM

Yep.......they were low brass shells. They were left over from the year before when I was using a pump. I hate to buy expensive shells for dove hunting but will if I must.

What shells do you all recommend?
Old 05-14-2003, 03:32 PM

By the way, I never had a hang-up with the same type shells with my Rem 1100 2 & 1/2 chamber.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:14 AM

I mean 2 & 3/4 chamber
Old 05-15-2003, 01:18 PM

I have never had a problem but I just shoot my 870 or BPS or one of my O/U' s. Just joking but I had my broother in law and another friend hunt white geese with me a year ago in the spring both were shooting SBE and using 3in Feds and 3n Rems and neither one of them ever got the things to cycle, had to shoot them as single shots. I believe that when you pay what you have to for one of them they should work.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:45 PM

The SBE is not made to handle light loads. Since it is a 3 1/2" gun they put a stiffer spring in it than their 3" shell guns. The lighter loads therefore just don' t have enough inertia to jack the shell out. Benelli states on their website the SBE should handle 2 3/4" 3 dram 1 1/8oz or heavier loads.
The SBE is an awesome gun, but maybe not the best quail gun.

I have a Montefeltro and it does fine with light skeet rounds, but its only a 3" gun.

low brass, high brass - it doesn' t make one bit a difference, its whats inside that counts.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:53 AM

Thanks guys,

I will try 2 3/4" 3 dram 1 1/8oz or heavier loads this season.

Quick Reply: Super Black Eagle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.