Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab Quit Retrieving

Old 08-18-2009, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down Lab Quit Retrieving

Well guys, I have ran into a bit of an issue. I have a nine month old Chocolate Lab. For the past couple of months, he has pretty much lost interest in retrieving. I have tried different bumbers, dokken ducks, and balls. He will play fetch all day in the house, but for some reason lately outside, he will not retrieve. He pretty much has lost interest. He will go and retrieve from the water, but not on land. He runs up to it, about 75% of the time, but wont pick it up, or he will just go lay down next to it. I am getting extremely frustrated with him. I try to make it fun with him, but nothing is working. Any suggestions? I will try anything!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you will have to try the method called "Forced Retrieve".....look it up and do your research and see if you wanna commit to this. Simply because once you start this method.......YOU CANNOT BACK OUT!! Or the dog will never retrieve. Good luck
Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I agree
But it is the only method to teach Fetch that has worked for me.

JW
Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Spike

Force fetch is going to be the resolve to your issues, but I would guess that from the indoor "playing" and the different "toys" you are throwing that you have not been very serious about training your dog. Go get some Richard Wolters books and read them cover to cover Water Dog is a good one, try Ten Minute Retriever that is another good book for the novice. Your dog doesn't feel an obligation to pick up YOUR bumpers on land because he is not retrieving for you, he is doing it for himself. The objective in training is instill in your dog a sense of obligation to work for you not for himself. You have a bunch of "puppy" work to do before I would even think about force fetch.

Last edited by Tiereta; 08-18-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

George Hickox also has some gun dog videos that have helped me. His force fetch method uses a toe pinch with rope method rather than the ear pinch which you must do with your hands. His method seems to me to be just as effective and less brutal.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

While I will agree with everyone else force fetch is the way to go. I like George hickox method also. It will take anywhere from 2-6 weeks, you really need to do it everyday. maybe twice a day, morning and evening. 10 or 15 minutes is all it will take.

If it is not something you can commit to, I would recomend continue with the water retrieves. He may eventually start land retrieves again.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice guys. Time will not be a problem. I love spending time working with my pup. We have been doing alot of water retrieves lately and he has been doing alright with that. We also have been doing some more land work as well. I tied a wing to the bumper last night and that sparked some more interest. From the research that I have been doing, force fetch seems to be what I was finding that would help out the situation. I will let you guys know how everything works out. Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kill_it_n_grill_it
Thanks for the advice guys. Time will not be a problem. I love spending time working with my pup. We have been doing alot of water retrieves lately and he has been doing alright with that. We also have been doing some more land work as well. I tied a wing to the bumper last night and that sparked some more interest. From the research that I have been doing, force fetch seems to be what I was finding that would help out the situation. I will let you guys know how everything works out. Thanks again!
Please take your time and make sure that your dog is ready for force fetch. The foundations of "puppy" work and great obedience must be in place, along with collar conditioning, before you start force fetching. BTW I prefer the ear pinch method because it allows you to keep control of their head when the pressure is on and you can do it on the ground instead of on a table, like the toe and string requires you to do.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default pinch

I have never tried the ear pinch method. But for me the whole point of getting the dog on the bench (at your level) is part of the training. Dogs are pack animals and by having them on a bench (off the ground) it reinforces that you are the alpha male.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

By attaching a tether to your dog while on the bench his head is limited in movement. Once he understands taking the dowel stops the pain he should automatically moves his mouth toward the dowel thus the need to control his head is not necessary. Also by having him elevated and tethered to something at his neck height eliminates his ability to lay down and submit which he may want to do at first while you are manhandling him by the ear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.