Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab Quit Retrieving

Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Spike

Talking retrieving

spend some time in the feild i trained my beagle to retrieve geese make sure the gun goes with and it goes off lol
Old 10-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Spike

Glad to hear things are working well for you. Keep with your dog everyday or every other day, and keep us updated.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Spike

I was thinking age may be playing a role. They go through that pre-teen phase and can be tough to deal with. Force fetch is always good program, nice to have a command in your back pocket to make him pick up something. My old lab didn't like the taste of somethings and he would barely carry them in his mouth but he would always pick them on a fetch command.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Spike

force fetch is the answer right now the dog is play fetching one day he going to quit on you in the field and you won't be able to get him to retrieve because you didn't make retrieving a duty you are letting it be an option . right now hes bored because you've done something like get mad at him or scoulded him and now he's quiting or he will quit again when the pressure is back on .I use the lip pinch when I force fetch
Old 10-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kill_it_n_grill_it
Just giving you guys all an update. I decided before I started the force fetch with my pup, that I would keep working on doing water retrieves and just good obedience. Started back up early last week on the land retrieves and it is like I have a totally different dog. He loves doing the land retrieves now. Something must have finally clicked with him. 60-70% of the time he has been placing the bumper in my hand when he brings it back. This is very satisfying to me compared to not bringing it back at all. I am going to guess some of his issues had something to do with his age. He is 11 months old now. I am going to continue to work with him every day and hopefully things will keep getting even better than they already have lately. Thanks again to everybody!
That's great to know.Now your dog knows the serious side of you but everytime after the serious training, don't forget to go back to the playtime mood and you'll have a friend to share the hunt forever.
Your dog will have you patterned and will always try his best to please you when he knows he can have fun too.
I use to field trial and had dogs that were just like robots.I wanted more, so I changed and just stick to basic commands.I do not seek perfection on my dogs now and just go out there to have fun.That's probably why I have enjoyed every hunt for 16 yrs with my old dog, even today.
It's so satisfying to see dogs love the hunt and retrieves with the proud look on their eyes as they bring the bird back to hand.
With my dogs I try not to use commands unless I have to and GOOD DOG is the most they hear from me, most of the time.
When your dog knows the tone of your voice and the action of your hands and he does things before you even say the command then it's gratifying to say the least. Good luck to you.