Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

trouble with lab

Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Spike

Default trouble with lab

I have a chocolate lab that is 4 years old, a couple of weeks ago my lab was at my parents house, early that next morning he gets out, he was in the street in front of my parents house, and a lady was walking early that morning and she said my dog chased her across the street to the police dept. Long story short the police chased him back into my parents back yard. Needless to say they arrested him and kept him in dog jail for 8 days, I had to go to court and had to pay $140.00 to get him back. If he is caught doing it again he will be put to sleep. This dog is so friendly, he goes with me every where on our farm and ranch, along with all of that he is a very good hunting dog. My question is what can I do to stop him from being aggressive, if he is, he has never bit anyone and gets along with other dogs
Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

I don't see any signs of an aggressive dog here. It could be that the lady was afraid of dogs and your lab was just trying to be nice... all the way to the police station. Have you spoken to the police about this? What was the behavior of the dog that leads you to believe you have an aggression problem. If you do have an aggression problem, and want to keep the dog, go find a professional trainer to help you with this issue. Otherwise, keep better control of your dog and don't let him get into a potential troublesome situation like this.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Call a trainer without delay!

Labs are at the top of the list for dog bites.
My brother had a Lab that he thought was a very friendly dog and the dog almost killed my dad. Totally out of the blue. My Dad was afraid of dogs , however that cannot be an excuse. You must take this seriously and see a trainer before someone gets hurt. In WI , if you are aware of aggression and the dog kills someone you will be charged with a minnimum charge of manslaughter. I have owned many Labs and have never seen any aggression on their part. Sometimes this is a traight that is passed on and other times it is a learned behavior. I hope you can get a handle on this problem for your sake and the dogs.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default labs

more and more labs are biting .its inbreeding or bad breeding.my dog did it and does it but is getting better at 6 years old.you can never trust dog like that again so you must be careful.

i believe getting lab around people helps a lot.try to get in groups with neighbors and walk together.being around other dogs helps and people too.but you must instruct people not to say pet his or hers mouth if that is what gets them going.

i take mine and say to person i trust, COULD YOU PET HIM ON BACK WHILE WE ARE WALKING.it helps alot.a dog like we have, no way you can let dog like that around young kids under 12 yrs old.labs like this dont like clapping hands,fist, tree limb wipped at them,yelling etc.

no way it will stop but will get better but you must leash dog around home or loose if you are with them.many times at 3 years old i ran toby down in street after another male dog.i ran after him chasing him home.

now all i say is BUDDY YOU BETTER NOT.he knows that means not to leave the property.its all about getting dog around people and other dogs.this is hard because you must be leader and have people that will work with you on this.walking in groups is best advice i can give you and leash dog when you are not there and if he goes aftersomeone,get in his face and chase him home saying,NO........
Old 08-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wink

Originally Posted by Derby
I have a chocolate lab that is 4 years old, a couple of weeks ago my lab was at my parents house, early that next morning he gets out, he was in the street in front of my parents house, and a lady was walking early that morning and she said my dog chased her across the street to the police dept. Long story short the police chased him back into my parents back yard. Needless to say they arrested him and kept him in dog jail for 8 days, I had to go to court and had to pay $140.00 to get him back. If he is caught doing it again he will be put to sleep. This dog is so friendly, he goes with me every where on our farm and ranch, along with all of that he is a very good hunting dog. My question is what can I do to stop him from being aggressive, if he is, he has never bit anyone and gets along with other dogs

SOME PEOPLE ARE FAT, SOME SKINNY, SOME SMELL OF FEAR,OTHERS OF AUTHORITY.SOME SHUFFLE THEIR FEET ,SOME YELL ALL TIME.as you might have read, i am talking aboutpeople.all these things set off a aggressive behavior.aggressive playful dog, yes playful in their mind is scary to person that does not know how to handle dog, average person on street.

all these things set off a aggressive or fear aggression dog, yes most biting dogs are FEAR AGGRESSION,they are scared to death of people or hand or stick or being on leash tied in yard.being tied up they have no place to RUN too so they bite.aLMOST all dogs we had trouble with in 50 years were dogs on leash in yard or someone tried to stick their hand in dogs mouth, women do this they always head to dogs mouth with their fingers, kids too.

so dog bites do to FEAR not attacking you,they ARE SCARED TO DEATH.take dog off leash, mostly will not bite because they are not confined or FEAR.............

SHOULD DOG BE PUT TO SLEEP.i never did it but its no fun seeing someone bit.so if you dont have time to spend with dog like this to correct or get better is word i should use ,then they MUST BE KENNELED or secured when you cant be there.NOT ON LEASH IN YARD,get a kennel and put sign on kennel, do not pet the dog...
i also dont like muzzle,my lab hates a muzzle.he will get worst.....

biting fear aggressive dogs will get better with age but you cant ever let them around young kids or PEOPLE THEY ARE NOT USED TOO.after they are used to PEOPLE never young kid those people will say,SPROUL THATS NICEST DOG I EVER SAW.i seen it happen many times,i call it DOGGY JERKYL,DOGGY HYDE.