HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   pointer help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/295651-pointer-help.html)

peanutbunkerandjelly 06-09-2009 02:56 PM

pointer help

A friend of mine has gotten a one year old german short hair thats been a challege to train for hunting. The dog seems to be just running around "playing" rather then hunting, he even has stepped right over dead doves weve place around the yard with out so much as stopping. Any tips on getting this suckers mind set on hunting?

4evrhtn 06-09-2009 04:33 PM

RE: pointer help

I probably wrote this a dozen times already but I know it works. Build a small quail pen for 2 or 3 quail. Every time the dog goes to the pen repeat the word BIRD and give him praise and/or treats. This will teach the dog it is good for him to show interest in birds, after his bird drive is up and he goes to the pen all the time then start with theWHOA training ( if he already knows COME and basic commands). I keep frozen quail in the frig to play fetch withfor myshorthairs during the times I can't get them out in the field to work and train.
I have a year old female that was never hunted and came from a irresponsible owner who had her crated all the time. She still hasn't hunted but will spend hours staring and pointing at the quail in the flight pen. Yesterday she knocked a young starling out of the air as it flew low through the yard. She went over to where it landed and went on point while my trained shorthair honored and backed her point. She has never been trained and has learned what her purpose is with very little effort thanks to having live quail in the yard and being praised for showing interest.

Vizsla Vince 06-10-2009 02:36 AM

Can't agree more on the live birds!! My trained Vizsla will pass over dead birds like they're not even there. But put a live bird under his nose & he turns into a Vizsla statue! This has been the case from early on.

jodis girls 06-11-2009 10:10 AM

You need live birds. I would also lay off the serious training until pup understands he is looking for birds. I had a similar problem and would plant birds to lead dog into them with a check cord. I didn't care if she bumped or caught birds I was looking for her to acknowedge them without saying anything to her. After a few times she got the picture and started using her nose and finding birds on her own. Then I trained her as I would a puppy. (age is not the factor but experience).

Try to do this in an area where the dog would not otherwise "play" it helps pup distinguish between play and hunt.

You didn't say where you are from but I bet there is a dog club that can help. AKC, NAVHDA

sproulman 06-11-2009 07:08 PM

i used to drive dirt roads looking for grouse with toby before he was year old,like 6 months old.we would see 3 grouse dusting in road,i would stop truck and say, BIRD, BIRD, BIRD,then open truck door.that quick he learned to hunt grouse,made a road hunter out of him.

4evrhtn 06-12-2009 07:54 AM

That reminded me of a buddy's dog. He would ride in the back of the truckwhile my buddy drove him through the fields. He stood in the front of the bed of the truck until he winded a bird, he then would move to the back of the truck and point. My buddy would stop grab his gun, let the dog out to locate the bird and point while he flushed and shot the bird. This was back in the good ol days when Pa had wild pheasants. (Not the most ethical way to hunt but he and that dog had alot of great times)

sproulman 06-15-2009 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: 4evrhtn

That reminded me of a buddy's dog. He would ride in the back of the truck while my buddy drove him through the fields. He stood in the front of the bed of the truck until he winded a bird, he then would move to the back of the truck and point. My buddy would stop grab his gun, let the dog out to locate the bird and point while he flushed and shot the bird. This was back in the good ol days when Pa had wild pheasants. (Not the most ethical way to hunt but he and that dog had alot of great times)
it is one quick way to get a dog to learn to hunt birds do to lack of birds.lately i shoot over head of grouse and rabbits with toby, i just cant see killing what is left.i carry my scented dummy grouse bird and throw it in brush ,toby thinks i shot it.he does not pick birds up anymore,just wags his tail while sniffing a little.

life is great when you can go hunting and not have to kill grouse and have a real fun time.only problem is trying to sit down to rest,DANG TICKS.[:@]

realtree88 10-11-2009 07:17 PM

not knocking anyones training advice. but get some pigeons plant them. let the pup point them or if she doesn't point them pop the bird out of the launcher when the dog runs by the bird. and let your dog chase it. repeat until your dog is crazy about birds. let her chase them as much as she wants. and dont start whoa training around birds. start it out on a barrel or post or something. and dont start whoa training your dog on quail. because if you make a mistake around quail. you cant go back to them. so start off with pigeons. and then when there broke on pigeons. then introduce to quail. and another reason to start with pigeons. if you do make a mistake. and your dog starts blinking pigeons. you can correct it with quail. if you make a mistake with quail. and im assuming that you hunt quail with your dog. and she starts blinking quail. then you got a problem. because when you go to hunt quail. your dogs not gonna wanna point them. because your dog made a bad connection with quail. and thinking if i point that im gonna get in trouble.

birddog3412 10-11-2009 10:14 PM

birds

Originally Posted by realtree88 (Post 3470484)
not knocking anyones training advice. but get some pigeons plant them. let the pup point them or if she doesn't point them pop the bird out of the launcher when the dog runs by the bird. and let your dog chase it. repeat until your dog is crazy about birds. let her chase them as much as she wants. and dont start whoa training around birds. start it out on a barrel or post or something. and dont start whoa training your dog on quail. because if you make a mistake around quail. you cant go back to them. so start off with pigeons. and then when there broke on pigeons. then introduce to quail. and another reason to start with pigeons. if you do make a mistake. and your dog starts blinking pigeons. you can correct it with quail. if you make a mistake with quail. and im assuming that you hunt quail with your dog. and she starts blinking quail. then you got a problem. because when you go to hunt quail. your dogs not gonna wanna point them. because your dog made a bad connection with quail. and thinking if i point that im gonna get in trouble.

I agree with this alot, it is mainly about building prey drive. Also I do not think you should say whoa to a dog around birds unless he is whoa broke.

Canned Heat 10-12-2009 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by birddog3412 (Post 3470578)
I agree with this alot, it is mainly about building prey drive. Also I do not think you should say whoa to a dog around birds unless he is whoa broke.

Good points...we always start with pigeons and work up.

Bears repeating anytime I discuss this with anyone....this is also when you don't want an e-collar at any point around birds in an early training or introductory scenario. One accidental nip with the collar and you've started to reinforce to your dog that these birds will lead him/her to punishment. Keep things fun and keep them relatively short. Always finish on a good note and use tons of praise. Most pointing breed owners will tell you that their dog doesn't peak and get evreything down to tacks until it's 2nd or 3rd full season. It's a long, but very rewarding process. Good luck.