Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Skunk descenting My dog

Old 05-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Spike

Default Skunk descenting My dog

My shorthair took a point blank skunk blast. First time dealing with this. Have tried Vinegar, Baking soda+peroxide+detergent soap, douche, Fabreeze, and a few regular shampoos. She is usually an inside dog, but not till this is remedied. Nothing has really solved it, only diluted it a little. We have a U.T. test next weekend and would like to resolve the smell before we mingle with people and judges. What is the best solution to use. I need sure fire answers (not guesses) as I do not intend to experiment on my dogs already sensitive skin. Please respond.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Skunk descenting My dog

Buddy, there's not one. Some say tomato juice, but I've never seen it work. Time is your friend here. I just hope her nose is working again by the time for you trial.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

I've heard good reviews on a mixture of Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap. I'm not sure of the ratios though, but I'm sure you could find it out.

Good luck in your UT test.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

I've never tried this but a buddy of mine swears that 409 cuts skunk musk. He says he's used it his dogs and cats.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Buy a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup of Baking Soda
1-2 Tablespoons of Dawn Dish Detergent or dog shampoo (I used Dawn)

Pour at least half the bottle of peroxide into a spray bottle and mix the baking soda and detergent in with it. Fill the rest of the bottle with water and give a little shake to mix the ingredients up. Careful not to shake to hard because it does start bubbling when you mix them. Once mixed together spray your dog with the mixture being careful not to spray in the face area, you do not want to get into the eyes, nose, mouth area. Once you sprayed your dog with a good amount, wash your dog with the mixture and rinse. Repeat as necessary. For the face area I sprayed the mixture onto a washcloth and used it carefully around the face area.

I have used the recipe with great success several times, the first time my lab to a direct shot into the mouth/ face area and it worked great with only one application. There was a small hint of odor on him but not enough to keep him from coming into the house and you had to put your nose directly on him to even get the slightest smell.

This is the only recipe I have used because it has worked for me in the past. I hope it works for you and your dog.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Spike

Thanks. We tried the recipe. It diluted the smell. Probably need a 2nd app. done.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

keep trying everything you have tried, and all the suggestions you have heard hear. I have heard they all work, supposely.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Its probably too late now, but there is a product called skunk off. It works pretty well. Here's a link to Amazon.com advertising the product.

http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Off-32-oz-Spray/dp/B0002XJ10K
Old 05-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

The best product I ever used for this is called Nature's Wonder. It eliminated the skunk smell in about 15 minutes. I always kept a spray bottle on hand. Even worked on the car when I hit a skunk with it.