Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 lab wont retrieve birds all the way to me >

lab wont retrieve birds all the way to me

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

lab wont retrieve birds all the way to me

Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Spike

Default lab wont retrieve birds all the way to me

I have a lab that is a year old. He wont retrieve birds he will run and pick them up no trouble and then run back to about ten yards from me and keep it in his mouth and theres no way for me to get it from him. If anyone knows how to take care of this problem please give advice. Very frustrating when your hunting.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: lab wont retrieve birds all the way to me

First of all, Are you following a sequential training program? If not then it will be difficult to diognose your problem. However that said, one temporary fix you could try is when training in the yard with bumpers toss one for him and when he picks it up start jogging AWAY from him. This will intice him to chase you. (never chase a dog, they will run away from you. instead get him to chase you) when he gets close enough grab his collar and tell him what a good boy he is. Love him up and don't take the bird/bumper away immediately let him hold it for a few seconds before you take it away. and always teach a release command such as "drop" it makes life much easier.

NEVER scold for not coming to you. that will teach him that it is better to be our of your reach then within it. By your side should be the dog's safe spot.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

play fetch in a hall way so he has to come back to you... if he still doesnt use a leash
Old 02-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

practice at home.

use a treat if all else fails.give a treat for giving you a bird.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would find a place to get a few pidgeons and put your lab on a check cord so that you have control of him. Make sure you try and make it fun for your lab and I am sure with enough practice he will come along for you. You just have to keep working at it until your lab understands what you want.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

I would find a place to get a few pidgeons and put your lab on a check cord so that you have control of him. Make sure you try and make it fun for your lab and I am sure with enough practice he will come along for you. You just have to keep working at it until your lab understands what you want.
nothing works quicker for some dogs than a DOGGY SLIM JIM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Fork Horn

The running the other way works well. Mine did what your did for awhile, not with birds but with his training bumpers. He would go to the bumper and pick it up, then dstand there and look at you, all I did was stert running the other way. a couple time of that and all is good
Old 02-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cessna Flyer

The running the other way works well. Mine did what your did for awhile, not with birds but with his training bumpers. He would go to the bumper and pick it up, then dstand there and look at you, all I did was stert running the other way. a couple time of that and all is good
WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, NOTHING WORKS BETTER THAN A DOGGY SLIM JIM
Old 02-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would do what slo-pitch says.If after a couple attemptsyour dog won'tbring it completely to you, you are going to have to teach it to force retrieve. This is a grueling and heart breaking for you if you love yourdog. Luckily Ihad to do this withonlyone of my labs and it only took 3 days (twice a day) for her to knowin no uncertain terms what fetch and drop meant. If you don't know how to do it, get a training book and read it.Remember its easier to teach a dog right the first time than to try and correct a problem that is already ingrained in their brain. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Spike

thanks guys

Quick Reply: lab wont retrieve birds all the way to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.