HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Choosing new dog (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/276845-choosing-new-dog.html)

Kaiser 12-04-2008 03:52 PM

Choosing new dog

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a new lab. It will be both a family dog and a hunting dog. Obviously I know to look for a healthy dog, good blood line, good breeder, etc.

I was wondering what traits I should look for in the puppy itself. What should I look for to pick out the best puppy.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Vizsla Vince 12-04-2008 04:44 PM

RE: Choosing new dog

Get your wife to pick the pup. That way, whenever the dog makes a mess, its HER dog!

Seriously, though, I picked the parents (most important part of selection) & let my wife pick which pup. She went for the one who went belly up for her, figuring he would be easiest to train...

Kaiser 12-04-2008 05:30 PM

Haha. Thats a good idea but I don't have a wife.

deke12ga 12-05-2008 07:18 AM

Get the breeder to turn em all out and watch to see which pups look the most curious and alert. Snap your fingers throw some things in the bushes in front of them to see if it draws their attention. Those are some things I look for. Maybe take a bird wing if you have one to see which ones show an interest.

bowhuntinlady 12-05-2008 08:01 AM

Definately choose one that is not shy. One who likes to carry stuff around in his mouth. Let the pups bite on your hand. Choose the one with the softest bite. Clap your hands loudly, the one who does not run away, probably won't be gunshy. Good luck. As for the wife comment, why in the world would you let a non-hunter pick out your hunting dog.

Vizsla Vince 12-05-2008 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: bowhuntinlady
As for the wife comment, why in the world would you let a non-hunter pick out your hunting dog.
When I pick a dog, I pick the parents & the breeder. I knew that my pup was coming from a very good breeding by a very experienced and respected breeder. There is much debate as to whether you can tell talent in a dog @ 8 weeks. Not even the most experienced field trialers can nail down talent in a dog at that age. A good dog is a work in progress.

Cessna Flyer 12-06-2008 04:47 AM

What Deke12ga said is darn near what I did. I was in England (the country) getting ready to retire when I started looking on the internet, I went through a bunch of web sites and I seem to always come back to one web site (Lankas Labs), I just liked what I saw and read, soI put my deposit on the pup. they were due to be born in June 2007. It was August and the breeder had two possibilites a black and a yellow( I had asked him to be honest and choose one for me, yes bad choice, but he couldn't choose either). I chose a Black (Max) and he has been fantastic ever since he had allot of drive as a pup and he still does. he is also a pointing Lab and that was not the reason I chose this breeder.

dc240nt 12-06-2008 10:07 PM

First and foremost work with a reputable kennel/breeder only. Check all the references you can. Then explain to the breeder what you are looking for in a dog..., then listen to him!! He knows his dogs and pups better then anyone. I have seen so many people listen to a recommendation from a breeder..., then go and choose a different pup. When the dog turns out to be less then they desired, they blame the breeder.

LISTEN TO THE BREEDER!! LISTEN TO THE BREEDER!!

They say if the parents are well bred and the kennel/breeder is reputable, you should be able to close your eyes and reach into the litter, grab a pup, and have a good hunting dog.

Its the personality of each dog that seperates the ones that work for us or not. This is where you need to have open conversation with the breeder and take the advice to heart.

I have practiced what I preach. Right now I coundnt be happier with my GSP pup. She's everything I was looking for and hoping to get. But most importantly, she's everthing the breeder told me she would be.

Good luck and have fun.

brkn arrow 12-07-2008 07:20 PM

I will be choosing my GSP pup in the late winter/ early spring dc I will definetly ask for the breeders input. Thanks for sharing that bit of info.

BetterBirddogs 12-08-2008 12:12 PM

Pick a pup that mirrors your personality. If you are a quiet reserved kind of fella then pick that kind of pup. If you are a hyper guy who is always on the go then pick that kind of pup. I run field trial dogs so a lazy sit at your feet kind of dog won't fit in at my house. But on the flip side my dogs would drive 99% of people crazy with their endless evergy and digging and psychoness. So make sure you pick a pup that is going to mirror your personality. Trust me when I say you'll be happiest with a pup that looks at the world the same way you do.