Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

mad at dogs

Old 10-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default mad at dogs

Does anyone else get so mad at one of there dogs because of something they have done that you could just let them loose or give them away?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Spike

Default RE: mad at dogs

No way!! We have 2 beagles and yes they are stubborn as hell when they are on a chase, but they are worth their weight in gold. You got to remember that every time they are out hunting or just walking they are learning something new. Maybe about what their limits and capabilities are. Also they learn and test you too, just to see where you stand so to speak. What sort of troubles are you having?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Ya I know you are right. I have this two year old male pointer, I look at him and pics of him and think he is the best dog in the world. I am not a pro trainer by any means but I know I expect way to much of him. I just get so mad when younger dogs I am working are solid on point and he comes in and busts the covey before I can get in close.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: birddog3412

Does anyone else get so mad at one of there dogs because of something they have done that you could just let them loose or give them away?
i was close to putting my lab to sleep for biting, it was that bad.

its getting a lot better but i cant trust him around strangers.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

I know a local coon dog hunter/breeder and if a dog does not perform he takes it to the humane society instead of selling it to someone else and ripping them off which I'm sure some lower end breeders do
Old 12-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Some close freinds of mine own a coonhound kennel and just are havinga timetrying to break a pup off of deer. So they may, reluctantly, sell her as a deer dog.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Spike

Let them loose? No way, too cruel to the dog. Only a slob hunter would do that.
However, in certain circumstances I can see where I might give away a dog I didn't have much time invested in.
If it was a dog I had for a long time I would have him put to sleep if it was really bad (like biting a kid when not provoked). But for minor issues I would have to think it was my fault for not training correctly.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just get so mad when younger dogs I am working are solid on point and he comes in and busts the covey before I can get in close.
Maybe you should just give him some more yard work.. A good check cord would be a good place to start. If you can get one of those that are working good with you guys to come along it would also help. Get the young one to point and hold yours back using the check cord. When he does a good job prase him for it. You just got to let him know when he is doing what you want from him.

Perhaps a good shock collar as well so if he busts the birds you can teach him no then..