Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 New Pro Plan with "Shreds" >

New Pro Plan with "Shreds"

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New Pro Plan with "Shreds"

Old 09-22-2008, 03:35 PM

Default RE: New Pro Plan with "Shreds"

Mustad, That site is completly worthless. Dog food I have never heard of before or care to. Same info on the side of the bag. The links off the site take you to a fear finding factless opinions that all dog foods are killing dogs. Full of BS.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jlupi

Best site I found for analyzing foods

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
IMO, a completely worthless site. [:-]

Old 09-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've fed a lot of dog foods also for the last 20 years and can say w/o a doubt Pro Plan is one of the best I've ever fed. I've never tried the new Shreds stuff, I didn't know it was out yet, thought it was being released sometime this fall. Right now I'm feeding a 50/50 mix of Pro Plan 26/16 and Black Gold 26/18 and the dogs are doing excellent so I have no reason to change.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:04 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I am also a heavy Pro Plan user. Have been since it came out. Now if it is true that you feed more and it coss more - well I for one will look elsewhere.

I just don't understand why change a good thing. Think I go call both Purina reps who are part of NAVHDA.

JW
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

I've fed a lot of dog foods also for the last 20 years and can say w/o a doubt Pro Plan is one of the best I've ever fed. I've never tried the new Shreds stuff, I didn't know it was out yet, thought it was being released sometime this fall. Right now I'm feeding a 50/50 mix of Pro Plan 26/16 and Black Gold 26/18 and the dogs are doing excellent so I have no reason to change.
Trymixing pro planperformance 30/20 for better results at the same cost

Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Doc E

ORIGINAL: Wlfdg

1. I feed raw. It works for the hardest working dogs on the planet, sled dogs.

2. Most kibble looks like crap to me. Almost all have grains as fillers. Dogs aren't omnivores, they're carnivores.

3. Grains create yeast, yeast feeds cancer cells. I supplement less than 5% of their diet with a grain free kibble.
1. The first thing that wild canids eat are the guts. The guts contain all kinds of vegetable matter. Uncooked grains carry lots of yeasts.
The huge majority of sled dogs are fed kibble (usually Eagle Pack) supplemented with raw (high fat) meats. They are fed more high fat meat when competing.

2. Do you really consider grains as being fillers?....... When properly prepared, grains provide a great source of carbohydrates.

3. Show me a peer reviewed published research article that says so. Grains do not create yeast. Yeasts are constantly in our environment.
As long as pathogenic yeasts and pathogenic bacteria are kept under control with beneficial bacteria, they are not a bad thing.

Mustad, My wolfdog's molars are sharp. He uses them for grinding bone, for calcium, for his bones and muscle contraction.

Well Doc,

1. Wild canids eat the organs for the vitamins and minerals. According to Dr.Mech (wolf biologist) wolves don't eat the contents of the stomach. The grains as you say. They would only be grains if the consumed animals were eating cultivated grains. Otherwise they would be grasses.

Yes sled dogs are fed kibble. It is dang near impossible to keep a kennel of 100+ dogs on meat. I know several competitive mushers who have sponsors give them kibble. Their dogs are fed meat. Do you believe members of the U.S.Olympic team eat McDonalds? Eagle Pack is one of the foods fed. Esp. to Martin Buser, Karen Rasmussen and others. When it is time to get down to business(August>April 9mnths) their dogs, as with pretty much all competitive teams, are fed a superior form of nutrition,high fat meat.

2- Yes I do consider grains fillers. Canine energy production is based on glycolytic (carbs- first 2-3 min.) and oxynogenic (fat-after 3 min.) processes. So berries would be a better source of carbs for dogs than grains. In fact my wolfdog picks and eats service berries and huckleberries with the dexterity of a bear. Grains are a great source of energy, for us.

My dogs are grain intolerant. One is part wolf, the other is an interior Alaskan Village dog. They regularly climb and descend anywhere from 4500 - 10,000 vertical feet a day in chest deep snow in temps down to -22 F. (My climbing skins don't work if it's any colder.) They have run (mountain biking) 35-40 mi. at an average speed of 18 mph. If it is cold enough to take them.

3- I will find the studies for you. I do know from my own personal experience that I have seen dogs with huge tumors fed grain free diets have significant reduction in tumor size(melon > golf ball) and significant increases in energy, vitality and quality of life. What matters more than that?

I also know that my dogs can run circles around my buddy's highly bred, highly trained Visla. He is fed "high quality dog food". At the end of our hikes the Visla is exhausted and my mutts are raring to keep going. Without grains.

Just a little food for thought.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

i also used purina and eukanuba,diamond.

now i use CANIDAE LAMB/RICE.

it was rated no.1 in dog food tests and i get it for 34 dollars for 40 pd bag.my lab does love it with a sardine in it .

i get sardines for .50 cents can and can lasts for a week.

take a look at CANIDAE info and see what you all think.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul

Just make sure the sardines are packed in water instead of oil and that they are unsalted.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doc E

Sproul

Just make sure the sardines are packed in water instead of oil and that they are unsalted.

we cant get ones in WATER,we use too but not now.

i use ones in OIL,drain oil off in a cup and down the toilet, rinse the sardines with water,then half of a sardine at each meal.

dollar general has a can for .50 cents which last a week.