Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 New Pro Plan with "Shreds" >

New Pro Plan with "Shreds"

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New Pro Plan with "Shreds"

Old 09-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Pro Plan with "Shreds"

What does everything think about the "New Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend"?
I can't find the ingredients in the "shreds", but I'm guessing they will use propylene glycol (makes it stay "moist" and gives the dog a perception of sweetness) (remember that ethylene glycol is anti-freeze). Purina says the shreds will make dogs eat more --- is that a good thing?

www.proplan.com/shredd...lend.html#

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I found the ingredients.............. They are using Glycerine to make it "moist" and not propylene glycol ---------- They are adding Soybean meal to the ingredients (I'm sure they will say that this is to give an improved amino acid profile ).

If this stuff is so cool, why aren't they adding shreds to all of their products?
Or will they in the future?

I'm guessing that this "improvement" came from their marketing department and not their nutrition department.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They are saying that the nutrition is the same ----- but it will go from 523 kcl per cup to 404 kcl per cup.............. Is 76% really the same as 100% ?
So if you feed 4 cups now, you will need to feed 5 of the new product. Smaller bag, same or higher price and the dog eats 24% more..................... Definitely a plan from the Marketing Dept.
Must be "new math", 'cause I sure don't understand it.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:10 AM

Default RE: New Pro Plan with "Shreds"

Over the yearsI have fed allot of different dog foods.
Joy was probobly the first one I can remember, then sometime in the late 70s earley 80s it was Purina Hi-Pro.
late80s we went with Kasco. Then sometime in the 90s it wasEukanuba till early 00 when they started supporting thehsus which supports peta then I went with Diamond. Untill they killed a bunch of dogs and made most of mine sick. I have been with Purina ever since. Why?
I supported dog food companies that supported the field trial community and made improvements to enhance the performance of the dogs.
The worst feedI ever fed was Diamond, it was always inconsistantin the way it looked and smelled. Sometimes it was dark and other times it was light colored. It had a smell of chocolate chip cookies one week and another it would smell like meat. The dogs stools wereinconsistant as well. Sometimes they would be dark and hard and other times they would be light colored or loose.I tried several others always wanting to switch away from Diamond to something better. The price was a big issue for me at that time. I had just started over from being in field trials to being a hunting plantation and money was tight. My dogs started getting sick and I knew it was the feed, although they told me point blank there is nothing wrong at all. I switched anyways, to Sport Mix. Then a few weeks latter Diamond was all over the news with reports of dead dogs and sick ones.
The best feed I ever fed was the Eukanuba Performance. It always looked and smelled the same. The dogs stools were always consistant. The dogs seemed to tolerate heat better and had allot of energy.
I have been feeding the Pro-Plan Performace for the past 3 years with great success. The dogs look great and have plenty of energy.
Purina has never made dogs sick or killed any that I know of. I hope they continue to make a quaility feed. If they don't I will switch again.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Dale,

When were you on Diamond? From the sounds of it you switched off a couple years ago. I ask because I just started feeding Diamond to my dogs. I had been with Eukanuba, but the cost has become outrageous lately. So far, it's been pretty good. I have tried a few different products from them... High Energy, Performance and Extreme Athlete. I have had my dogs on Diamond for only a few months so far, so I haven't been able to test the consistency aspect too much. From what the company said, they decided to completely overhaul their QA process as a result of what happened a few years ago.

I have yet to see a feed here in Canada that looks as good as Diamond on paper that is anywhere close to it's price point. I'm a bit concerned about the consistency based on their history, but so far so good.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

I feed raw. My family has fed raw for centuries. It works for the hardest working dogs on the planet, sled dogs. Most kibble looks like crap to me. Almost all have grains as fillers. Dogs aren't omnivores, they're carnivores. Grains create yeast, yeast feeds cancer cells. I supplement less than 5% of their diet with a grain free kibble.

I feel like Purina, Eukenuba and Iams have been on the bottom of the dog food septic tank for a long time.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

It is very debatable whether dogs are omnivores or carnivores. I believe the former for a few reasons.

First, if you compare the teeth of a true carnivore, say a cat, with a dog, you will see that there is a huge difference between their molars (if you want to call them that) and a dogs. They are sharp vs a dogs which are flat. Dogs use their molars to chew on grass and grains.

Second, in the wild, when a wolf or coyote kills an animal, the first thing they eat is the stomach and it's contents. The reason being is for the grain and digested vegetation within. A true carnivore will not do this.

That said, no doubt, a dog's diet should be meat based, not grain based.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wlfdg

1. I feed raw. It works for the hardest working dogs on the planet, sled dogs.

2. Most kibble looks like crap to me. Almost all have grains as fillers. Dogs aren't omnivores, they're carnivores.

3. Grains create yeast, yeast feeds cancer cells. I supplement less than 5% of their diet with a grain free kibble.
1. The first thing that wild canids eat are the guts. The guts contain all kinds of vegetable matter. Uncooked grains carry lots of yeasts.
The huge majority of sled dogs are fed kibble (usually Eagle Pack) supplemented with raw (high fat) meats. They are fed more high fat meat when competing.

2. Do you really consider grains as being fillers?....... When properly prepared, grains provide a great source of carbohydrates.

3. Show me a peer reviewed published research article that says so. Grains do not create yeast. Yeasts are constantly in our environment.
As long as pathogenic yeasts and pathogenic bacteria are kept under control with beneficial bacteria, they are not a bad thing.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: mustad

Dale,

When were you on Diamond? From the sounds of it you switched off a couple years ago. I ask because I just started feeding Diamond to my dogs. I had been with Eukanuba, but the cost has become outrageous lately. So far, it's been pretty good. I have tried a few different products from them... High Energy, Performance and Extreme Athlete. I have had my dogs on Diamond for only a few months so far, so I haven't been able to test the consistency aspect too much. From what the company said, they decided to completely overhaul their QA process as a result of what happened a few years ago.

I have yet to see a feed here in Canada that looks as good as Diamond on paper that is anywhere close to it's price point. I'm a bit concerned about the consistency based on their history, but so far so good.
Iused it for about 5 years stopped 3-4 years ago. Same time when they had their problem.
Field trial dogs were on performance 30/20 and the others were on high energy. The diamond rep told me not to feed high energy and feed the green bag (can't remember what it was called) I'm pretty sure that have made lots of improvements. Although, they point blank told me a lie that could have killed all my dogs and put me out of business. I would never feed their stuff again if it was the last dog food company on earth.
Some of my best field trial dogs ate homemade dog food.
Hamburger, rice, and vegall. It costs about the same as any premium dog food 1-1.25 per pound. Lots of agrivation cooking a big pot of dog food, bagging it, freezing it, and then you have to remember toget some out of freezer every day.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM

I feed my pup, Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. She really loves the food rolls which are like dried sausage, in Beef, Lamb and Turkey. On top of that she get some dry Natural Balance kibble which also helps keep the teeth clean. was using Science Diet, but switched to Natural Balance about 1 year ago.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Best site I found for analyzing foods

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
Old 09-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I find that site almost completely worthless. It clearly has an agenda to push no-grain feeds. The reviewers are not animal nutrition experts, even by their own admission. It is just a group of people pushing their personal opinions and not what is necessarily correct.

I say almost completely worthless as the site does have a very complete list of feeds and their ingredients. If you get a kick out of dog food, this is a good source to look at in figuring out, perhaps, which ingredients work best with your dog.

Other than that, it is propaganda at it's purest form.

Quick Reply: New Pro Plan with "Shreds"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.