Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

12 week Old Fox Red Lab

Old 09-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Spike

Default 12 week Old Fox Red Lab

Well, I'm a proud owner of a 12 week old fox red lab retriever. He seems to be a quick learner. He's been house broken for a couple of weeks now and sits, shakes, stays, heels, etc. I want to work with him on bird hunting, primarily pheasant. I've picked up the puppy pheasant training kit at Gander that comes w/ the scent, dummy, and whistle. I was wondering if anyone would recommend a good DVD/book out there to help me train him or any other sources of info (Any advice is appreciated!). THis is my first go around w/ training a dog, let alone owning a dog. Gunnar is a pure bred lab retriever and comes from excellent genetics. His father and mother have excellend in pheasant hunting and retrieving along w/ their predecassors. I'm very excited to work with him and will be extremely committed to any program. I've read a little bit about the force fetching, but would like more info on that process along w/ any other successful training methods. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 12 week Old Fox Red Lab

Great lookin' pup ........ Gotta love those fox reds.
For a newbie trainer, I'd recommend the "10 Minute Retriever", by John and Amy Dahl
When it comes to Force Fetch, the bible is "SmartFetch" by Evan Graham.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check them out. Any opinion on the Force Fetching? Is that something a newbie can handle? thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dukers19

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check them out. Any opinion on the Force Fetching? Is that something a newbie can handle? thanks.
FF is not difficult if you follow a good FF program. Most all good training books have a small section or chapter on FF, but they are incomplete. If you want the finest FF guide, get SmartFetch, by Evan Graham. The only book (also a DVD) devoted totally to FF. It's the FF bible.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Spike

I've now ran into a hurdle. Up til recent, he had been retrieving like a pro, but now he is refusing to retrieve or fetch. He just sits right at my feet now. Is it normal to have some regression like this during training? It's just confusing because he would retrieve anything thrown now he won't go after anything. Is there something I could have done? Too much fetching? I'm really concerned and hope he isn't broke of retrieving. Is there where FF would help out down the road? He still will do all the other functions, sit, stay, laydown, shake, etc., but just won't fetch. Please help. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 PM

You want to make sure not to burn your pup out. Make sure that you always stop doing retrieves with him wanting more. I would say two or three a day max. Keep all of your sessions short also.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. Get on a training program and follow it page by page, chapter by chapter ! ! !
2.Three orfour retrieves twice a day -- maximum ! ! !
3. Force Fetch normally starts at about 6 months of age or so. After teething and when obedience is solid.
4. Quit going at it hap-hazard --- Did I mention to get on a training program ! ! !
You are going to screw that pup if you keep doing what you are doing.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Spike

Buying the DVD/Book this weekend.

Good news though, Gunnar is back to his old self anxiously retrieving again. I have kept the session short now and only 2 times a day.

Thanks for the advice, and I will anxiously be looking forward to getting on a program!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Spike

That's awesome. I just got a fox red lab about a month ago. He is one awesome dog. He is super smart. I just bought the "Water Dog" DVD and will begin training him next week. Can't wait!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wild at heart
I just bought the "Water Dog" DVD and will begin training him next week.
Congrats on the pup, but
"Water Dog" is fairly incomplete and old fashioned.