Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 I need a training collar???? >

I need a training collar????

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

I need a training collar????

Old 09-14-2008, 08:04 PM

Default I need a training collar????

I have been looking for a training collar for about a month now. I don't really know that much about the quality of the brands out there, but tri-tronics and sportdog seem to be the most popular. My biggest dilemma is my budget is so small. I can only spend around $100 max, and still expect to get a collar that is durable and lasts me a while. Any suggestions or offers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need a training collar????

There is no such thing as a quality ecollar for $100.
You might want to try www.collarclinic.com for a
fully reconditioned guaranteed ecollar at lower prices,
but even at that, you're going to spend more than $100.
TriTronics is far and above the rest, Dogtra is ranked 2nd
and SportDog is down from there.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Why the collar?

JW
Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 AM

I am aware that I am not going to be able to purchase a brand new quality collar for $100. Refurbished or used is was what I am leaning towards. I was just looking for some suggestions on places to look and brands to look for.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:40 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well the collar clinic is the palce to go or if you know someone from the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Assoc. (NAVHDA) As they have chapters.

The Chapter does get 35% discounts for one product from Tri-Tronics but you must use the certificate.

Now that still won't put it under 100 bucks.

In the e-collar world you pay for what you get. Tri-Tronics is the leader but Dogtra is running a close second as Doc told you.

He also gave you the link to the collar Clinic.

But I asked why the collar? It is a great tool - don't get me wrong - I use them - but it is not a shortcut to general hands on obedience.

JW
Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 PM

I have put both my labs through what I consider general obedience training. I just think for the best results, considering I am new at this. I should go with an e collar to make things a little more black and white. I am having a little trouble with the male, he does not like to respond immediately to commands, he feels he can do them at his own convenience and he never gets in a hurry.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

I've had a dogtra for 3 yrs. and it works great. Doesn't seem to hold a charge as long as i would like, however.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 PM

You need a check cord, pinch collar and a whoa pole.
A e-collar is just a tool just like anything else, although you can ruin a dog quicker with one than anything else.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would try ebay, or gundogsonline.com, you would probably be able to pick up a good used collar
Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ghostbuckhunter

I have been looking for a training collar for about a month now. I don't really know that much about the quality of the brands out there, but tri-tronics and sportdog seem to be the most popular. My biggest dilemma is my budget is so small. I can only spend around $100 max, and still expect to get a collar that is durable and lasts me a while. Any suggestions or offers would be greatly appreciated.
i have never needed to use one and so far, i dont.

i do see dogs that dont listen and some are labs too but i have never run into dog ,so far that i needed a collar on them.

i see many dogs on sgl land with collars on them, owners are yelling at these dogs while hunting.

it makes me so mad i have to move to another area to hunt.

gets my nerves up.

Quick Reply: I need a training collar????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.