HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   ***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS*** (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/257727-urgent-virginia-hunting-dog-owners.html)

Hokieman 08-14-2008 02:27 PM

***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS***

THIS POST IS ON ANOTHER BOARD AND IS A CONCERNED VA HOUNDSMAN. WE NEED EVERYONE TO WRITE IN TO THE SAC AND LET THEM KNOW OF YOUR STRONG SUPPORT OF HOUND HUNTING. PLEASE EVERYONE SEND IN THOSE EMAILS.

I've lurked a long time but am compelled to post because of this Study. I also posted the same information on another forum that caters to still hunters, as this Study pertains to them as well in some ways.

I have hunted with and without hounds, and I understand why some still hunters dislike hound hunters so much. I also deeply respect the rights of landowners, and fully support their right to restrict access to their property.

Having said that, I must tell you that hound and still hunters are completely mistaken about this study. The Strategic Advisory Committee has indeed made some reasonable recommendations - but they are only recommendations. I'm sure many good houndsmen and landowners guided these people and I appreciate their efforts.

But then I read the Technical Report. The entire thing; and I read it several times. And I am just appalled. It is nothing more than our game department rationalizing doing away with hunting - all hunting, and focusing instead on outdoor recreation. They're just starting with houndsmen - still hunters will not be far behind.

Many people, but mostly still hunters, may not realize that animal rights groups have been very active and effective during the entire study period. The entire Technical Report is not only anti-hunting with hounds, it is anti-hunting in general. Including bird dogs.

Anyone who supports hunting - any form of hunting of any species, would be well advised to read the entire Technical Report, and ask yourself why the study participants (not the SAC) felt it necessary to consult animal rights groups, continually make references to public opinion about hunting (not hunting with hounds - but HUNTING), keep referencing the drop in numbers of hunters (which is not borne out by recent US Fish and Wildlife data), and keep focusing on outdoor recreation.

Why? Ask yourself why. Why is a group whose leader has recently been convicted of dog theft consulted about the welfare of hunting dogs? This same convict is speaking at the National Animal Rights Conference being held this week in DC - and being hailed as a hero.

I'm trying to figure out why any American landowner would approve of this study when the Burns Inquiry is referred to repeatedly. The Burns Inquiry is what led to the ban on foxhunting in the UK. But UK law is different than the US - about the same time they were banning foxhunting Parliament created the "Right to Roam" act - an act that would horrify any landowner in the US. In the UK, the public has a right to access any private land - the landowner CANNOT prohibit them.

There is a great deal that is ethical and responsible about hunting, with and without hounds. I think we all know that it's difficult to find good places to hunt. We all know that we have to share the land with people who prefer to birdwatch or kayak or cycle, or still hunters that resent our presence or that of our hounds. But we need to share - and no one appears willing.

I know what has happened in Oregon and Washington, and that's why I knew what was in the Technical Report about those states was not the whole story. I don't want Virginia to be next, and I'm afraid it's going to be.

If any of you reside in Virginia, visit this Commonwealth for pleasure or business, have bought your hounds from breeders here - please email your strong support of hunting with hounds to [email protected] before September 12th. If any of you have any questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer them. Thank you!

daleh 08-14-2008 11:45 PM

RE: ***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS***

Alright,
This has been comming for quite some time, don't make it like they are going to do away with hunting altogether.
First and Foremost: It is up to people thatparticipate in a sport to police their own.
Deer hound hunters have screwed up everything for the rest of the hunters for the past 20 years.
"my dogs can't read no trespassing signs"
" I'm going to get my dogs no matter how many ofyour fields orroads I have to destroy"
"It is part of my heritage running deer dogs"
" I Like to drink beer and hunt out my truck"
Deer Hunting with Dogs Is fine by me or anyone else if you haveenough acres to turn them loose on and catch them as soon as they get close to your property boarder.
However, thatis not what happens.
People turn them loose on 5-50acres and chase them a whole day across morepeoples property that they don't have permision to even be close too. It has become the passtime of trespassers, outlaws, and poor sportsman.
Deer Doggin' has become resposible for land owners to put up "No Trespassing Signs" and gate their roads to the farms.
It has also caused the main problem of "nobody is going to hunt on my farm"
Landowners and farmers can not spend countless hours and diesel fuel to repair their roads and fields from inconsiderate people. (deer dog hunters that don't care)
I challenge you to tell me or anyone else different.
You should have tried to do somethingwith your huntingethics and this would have never become an issue.

Phil from Maine 08-15-2008 07:45 AM

Although I agee with what you are saying in cases with private landowners and the like Dale, the underlieing problem is the word hounds. Whether it is deer hounds, rabbit hounds, bear hounds, or just your everyday bird dogs is where the underlying problem is. If that law they are trying to put threw is anything like the one they have tried up here with bear hounds a few years ago. There would be no hunting with any type of dog period. They used the term bear hounds to cover-up the rest of what they were saying. If that is the case then no hunters will be able to hunt with any type of dog reguardless of what hunting you do. This needs to be looked at very seriously.

Do you have a link with the full proposed law that they are trying to make there?

SwampCollie 08-15-2008 09:05 AM

I have not read the report yet, but I thought I'd post a link to the report on the VADGIF website incase anyone else was curious as to what it was that hokieman was talking about.

I have my own presumptive opinions.... but let me read the thing first...

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/hounds/reports.asp

Lanse couche couche 08-15-2008 09:25 AM

For every incident of tresspass, vandalism, slob hunting, etc involving someone who hunts deer with dogs, there are many more involving folks who still hunt deer. Go ahead and let folks make deer hound hunters the boogey man. Next it will be other forms of dog hunting that are gone. Then when the antis will go after still hunting, at which time some of these clowns will wonder why there are so few other types of hunters that have their back in the fight. [:@]

SwampCollie 08-15-2008 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Hokieman

But then I read the Technical Report. The entire thing; and I read it several times. And I am just appalled. It is nothing more than our game department rationalizing doing away with hunting - all hunting, and focusing instead on outdoor recreation. They're just starting with houndsmen - still hunters will not be far behind.

Many people, but mostly still hunters, may not realize that animal rights groups have been very active and effective during the entire study period. The entire Technical Report is not only anti-hunting with hounds, it is anti-hunting in general. Including bird dogs.

Maybe I just missed it here, and granted I don't know the whole history behind the UK problem, and the issues with the anti-hunting AR groups, but as I read over the report, I didn't catch much of what you are referring to Hokieman.

I saw where the reportaddressed concerns for the future of hunting in general, but I am assured, and I assure you, that the folks in charge of the Game Department are in no way interested in doing away with hunting. Absolutely not under any circumstances save only the wellfare of the species and/or the state itself.

Phil from Maine 08-15-2008 09:44 AM

I see it as a report also that is trying to improve hound and hunter understandings more than anything else, but perhaps I am reading into this wrong.
None the less the term hound appears to be in refference to all hunting dogs. So anyone down there that hunts with a dog regaurdless of what type of dog or hunting should put some imput into this. Good luck with keeping hunting going on as we know it.

Lanse couche couche 08-15-2008 10:12 AM

Call me jaundiced, but I would bet my bottom dollar that a good 50 to 75 percent of the folks that are critical of deer hunting with dogs are also gonna take a shot at most styles of hunting with dogs if they get the chance. All dog hunters need to stick together because you've got lots of fellow hunters looking to stick it to you.

deke12ga 08-15-2008 12:00 PM

I duck hunt! My dog is NOT a hound, he is a RETREIVER and while the Boykin Spaniel may not be an AKC registered breed, I'd bet money that the BSS or the AKC will fight to decern a difference. Same thing with a Pointer.Just look at the breed names that most deer hunters use... Walker Hounds, Black and Tan Coonhounds, Redbone CoonHounds. Go tell a Lab or Golden Retriever owner their dog is a hound see what they tell you. I deer hunt with dogs too but to try to lump all dogs into one catagory (Hounds) is rediculous. Deer Hounds jobs are simply to find and chase game. Retrievers dont find game, their sole job is to RECOVER game. Pointers do indeed find game but the also RECOVER downed game. Retrievers and pointers most always work within 100 yards of the hunters then come back. The use of a retriever is also considered a more ethical way to hunt birds as more birds are recovered.

Lanse couche couche 08-15-2008 12:37 PM

The bow hunter on public land that shot a dog (involed in legal hunting) that came by his stand probably didn't really care if it was a hound or a retriever. I don't think that a lot of folks make such distinctions, especially those who would be happy to see just about all forms of dog hunting go away, even if they only claim to have their panties in a wad about deer hounds at this point.
But then again, I have seen dogs running deer in Louisiana that looked a lot more like beagles than redbones.