Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 ***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS*** >

***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS***

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS***

Old 10-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS***

Strange bedfellows here.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

As others have stated over and over dogs can't read signs..! I here the same thing about bear dogs running under baited stands even though they have a full 2 weeks ahead of dog season.. Only difference is the private land belongs to paper companies.. So not much is done about it.. Now with this in mind you that have your private land with your own deer heard on it. That you planted deer plots in and other items to attrack deer there from your nieghbors land and then posted for your private hunting program.. Is just as wrong as those deer belong to all hunter and non hunters alike. The non hunters like to take pictures while hunters like myself like to shoot them.. You make claim that the deer are yours after drawing them from your nieghbors property right? Then you complain if thier dogs run onto your property by accident or not to get the deer back on thier property that you drew from them.. The circle goes on.. Up here if that was the case you would most likely be worried about being burnt out rather than those dogs moving threw your property. They say an eye for an eye and exactly what you are trying to do is band all dog hunting regardless of what type it is. Using deer dogs is only the first step of the excuse.. I am glad we do not live in your areas that appear to have such a problem as you folks do..
Old 10-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Phil you are exactly right! This whole issue has turned into the I am a stand hunter and I hate hound hunters. I thought that hunters were smarter than some of them are, but obviously they don't get the snowball effect when the anti's get the door open just a little bit. And it will snowball. It's the same thing with gun control. I don't own an ar but I would fight tooth and nail if any legislation was trying to get passed to outlaw any "assault" weapons. Because after the assaults then what semi-auto shotguns? The errogance of I don't do that so who cares is exactly what the anti's are hoping to get so they can pass there ultra liberal agenda. And depending on who gets elected it might be a very long four years!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Great couple of "the end is near" posts. It's about controlling a problem part of hunting. Should we let one part of hunting, that BTW is very very visible, continue to cause issues? As little use for dogs for deer hunting as I have I don't care if they continue their version of hunting as long as it doesn't spill over to other areas. And to clarify it's the deer hunter that this whole issues is about. Don't let anyone fool you they are the root of the survey. The other states that have taken measures to fix their deer hound hunting problems aren't being attacked or have hunting in general in jeopardy. And they're still hound hunting too. More the sky is falling tactics to avoid the inevitable.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:58 PM

I am a farmer, landowner, and a hunter in Eastern VA so I am very familiar with all of the issues here. There are a lot of "hunters" in this state generally from Petersburg South to the NC line who never go in the woods.They "hunt" by turning a bunch of deer dogs with tracking collarsloose and thenracing up and down the road in 4x4pickup trucks equipped with super swamper tires, stainless steel dog boxes, CBs, and antennas to track the dogs and talk to the other pot hunters. Theobject isto tryand cut the deer offwhen it crosses a road or a farm fieldwhere you canjump out of the truck and shoot it.

Generally the deer is shot inor close toa state road withno regard for who owns the land on either side of the road or whether it is posted...or the fact that in VA there is a law against shooting from a state road.Thesefolksusuallyhave permission to hunt on a piece of land somewhereand might lease some land from a timber company, but if their dogs run adeer five miles and it crosses the road onto someone else'e property that is posted they could care less andblastaway. Sometimes they will kick the truck in 4 wheel drive and cut across a field to shoot a deer or to "catch the dogs"...it doesn't matter that a farmer has a crop planted out there. Super swampers will make a hell of a mess of a wheatfield. Quite a few of these people ride around all night long drinking whiskey and shining spotlights around "looking for the dogs."

I am 35 years old and thissort of thinghas been going on around hereasfar back as Ican rememberandalot ofthe farmers just putup with it for several months a yearbecause the deer were eatingup their cropsand they were too busy trying to make a living farming to hunt much, and wanted someone, anyone,tokill deer, but it has gotten out of hand. A lot of people around here are just getting fed up with these redneckpot hunters, especially people who have moved out to the country and bought a few acresand want piece and quiet...not deer dogs barking 24/7 and high techrednecks in jacked up trucksburning up thenarrow country roads takingpot shots at deer.

Unfortunately,I am afraid thesepot hunters are going to end up ruining it for everyone including legitmate hunters who use hounds. Instead of outlawing hunting with hounds VDGIF should aggressively enforce the existing VA law against hunting near a stateroad which isnever enforced. This will put thepot hunters out of business, because they will either actually have to become real hunters and get out of the truck and go in the woods or quit hunting.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Well Jeepguy here's what enforcement is up to these days for the hound hunters. I talked to the officer and got a lot more but it's not going out public. All I'll say is change is coming and the doggers days of running and gunning are numbered.

BTW way they are already issuing tickets for the fox hound loophole for those letting hounds out and claiming it's now a fox dog. If they are not in compliance with the law, they get a ticket. Here's the law.

Fox. - There shall be a continuous open season for hunting with dogs only. The hunting or pursuit of foxes shall mean the actual following of the dogs while in pursuit of a fox or foxes or managing the dog or dogs while the fox or foxes are being hunted or pursued. Foxes may be killed at any time by the owner or tenant of any land when such animals are doing damage to domestic stock or fowl.

Ends this let them out and go home and watch TV while the dogs run all over the county.

Northern Neck News article.

From the Wild
By Sgt. Rich Goszka Virginia Conservation Police

More enforcement of Hunting laws

If any of you have been following the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) Hound Hunting Study many of you will know that one of the many recommendations the citizen committee of this study has recommended is that DGIF law enforcement enhance their enforcement of our laws and regulations. Many Virginia Counties east of the blue ridge have passed resolutions supporting hound hunting and also requested the enforcement of existing laws and regulations, including one recently passed by the Richmond County Board of Supervisors. The Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance, which many local hunting clubs in the Northern Neck have joined, has also called for DGIF to enforce the existing laws rather than create new laws.

As the supervising Conservation Police Officer (CPO) in the Northern Neck I am getting the message loud and clear as to what our hunters and citizens of the Commonwealth are asking for. As a result I am putting a plan of action together to further the enforcement of the existing laws and regulations already on the books. The following are the existing laws and regulations that local CPOs assigned to the Northern Neck will actively seek out violations of. I feel that this should be made public in an effort to educate hunters and citizens of the Northern Neck as to what to expect as to the changes in our enforcement practices.

One of the biggest complaints we get every year in the Northern Neck is road hunting, blocking the road or using the road as a form of trespass. The Code of Virginia clearly states that no person shall stop a vehicle in such manner as to impede or render dangerous the use of the highway by others, except in the case of an emergency, an accident, or a mechanical breakdown. A highway is defined as the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel in the Commonwealth. We will enhance our effort to enforce this existing law. The highways of Virginia are designed for vehicular traffic and not for the purpose of hunting. As State sworn law enforcement officers we have an obligation to protect the safety of the general public. The use of the highways for the purpose of hunting when it creates a public safety hazard is a violation of the Code of Virginia.

Currently there is no legal chase season for deer outside of the general firearms season. Many deer hound hunters are using the fox chase season as the loophole in the law to run their deer hounds illegally. Under 29.1-516 of the Code of Virginia it states that the hunting or pursuit of foxes shall mean the actual following of the dogs while in pursuit of a fox or foxes or managing the dog or dogs while the fox or foxes are being hunted or pursued. The following of fox hounds means to travel behind the dogs during the chase. To manage the fox hounds means to be in charge of and give commands and direction during the chase. We will begin to enhance our efforts to enforce the provisions of this law and those that are running their deer hounds during the closed season. If deer hound hunters want a chase season they need to make this known to the DGIF and its board during our public comment period of our regulation cycle.

As to the enforcement of the hunting trespass laws all Conservation Police Officers (CPOs) have access to local tax maps through a computer mounted in their vehicles. CPOs will use this new technology to enforce the hunter trespass laws. Hunters are required to obtain written permission on posted lands or verbal permission on lands that are not posted. Hunt Clubs that lease land or get permission from a landowner for an entire club need to have this permission or lease available for inspection by a CPO. All club members on posted lands must carry either written permission from the landowner or a club membership card. It is the hunter’s responsibility to know whose land they are hunting. This is a matter of respect for all landowners. Obtaining permission prior to hunting will go a long way to establishing better relations with landowners and the image of the hunter.

Many of you are aware of Virginia’s right-to-retrieve law it states that fox hunters and coon hunters, when the chase begins on other lands, may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person who goes on prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs pursuant to this section and who willfully refuses to identify himself when requested by the landowner or his agent to do so is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. This law is for retrieval of hounds only. This means a hunter can not wander around prohibited property looking for their dogs. Hunters must know they are there by hearing, seeing or pin pointing them with modern radio tracking equipment. Upon this knowledge they should then immediately retrieve them and leave the property. The right-to-retrieve law is not an invitation to continue the chase.

Finally, it is the mission of DGIF to protect the hound hunting future. We will attempt to do this by addressing problem areas, partnering with other enforcement agencies and to send a message to those that disrespect the time honored tradition of hunting with hounds by violating the laws and ethics of the sport. We can not do this with out your help. You the citizens of this Commonwealth are our “eyes and hears”. We count on you to report violations and to let us know were problems exist. To report a violation call our Wildlife Crime Line at 1-800-237-5712.

For more information on hunting safety and Virginia’s hunting laws and regulations visit the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries website at www.dgif.virginia.gov.

Send questions, photos and wildlife stories to:
[email protected]
P.O. Box 447, Warsaw, VA, 22572
Old 10-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeepguy2

I am a farmer, landowner, and a hunter in Eastern VA so I am very familiar with all of the issues here. There are a lot of "hunters" in this state generally from Petersburg South to the NC line who never go in the woods.They "hunt" by turning a bunch of deer dogs with tracking collarsloose and thenracing up and down the road in 4x4pickup trucks equipped with super swamper tires, stainless steel dog boxes, CBs, and antennas to track the dogs and talk to the other pot hunters. Theobject isto tryand cut the deer offwhen it crosses a road or a farm fieldwhere you canjump out of the truck and shoot it.

Generally the deer is shot inor close toa state road withno regard for who owns the land on either side of the road or whether it is posted...or the fact that in VA there is a law against shooting from a state road.Thesefolksusuallyhave permission to hunt on a piece of land somewhereand might lease some land from a timber company, but if their dogs run adeer five miles and it crosses the road onto someone else'e property that is posted they could care less andblastaway. Sometimes they will kick the truck in 4 wheel drive and cut across a field to shoot a deer or to "catch the dogs"...it doesn't matter that a farmer has a crop planted out there. Super swampers will make a hell of a mess of a wheatfield. Quite a few of these people ride around all night long drinking whiskey and shining spotlights around "looking for the dogs."

I am 35 years old and thissort of thinghas been going on around hereasfar back as Ican rememberandalot ofthe farmers just putup with it for several months a yearbecause the deer were eatingup their cropsand they were too busy trying to make a living farming to hunt much, and wanted someone, anyone,tokill deer, but it has gotten out of hand. A lot of people around here are just getting fed up with these redneckpot hunters, especially people who have moved out to the country and bought a few acresand want piece and quiet...not deer dogs barking 24/7 and high techrednecks in jacked up trucksburning up thenarrow country roads takingpot shots at deer.

Unfortunately,I am afraid thesepot hunters are going to end up ruining it for everyone including legitmate hunters who use hounds. Instead of outlawing hunting with hounds VDGIF should aggressively enforce the existing VA law against hunting near a stateroad which isnever enforced. This will put thepot hunters out of business, because they will either actually have to become real hunters and get out of the truck and go in the woods or quit hunting.
Wow, I can't believe you just lumped all dog hunters into that category. You still wonder why they have no respect for you?[&:]

I thought this topic died a long time ago anyway after that anti-hunter Big Bird couldn't find anyone to argue with about doghunting...

26 more days for me and i will be dropping the tailgate and letting them run! I thank God that our southern tradition has been protected and preservedin Florida and maybea similaroutcome will happen in Virginia.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would think that some folks would have done it by now, but check out some of the quotes of some of the animal rights activists involved in this situation. One of them in an interview pretty much criticized all sorts of hunting with dogs even though he was suppoed to just be talking about hunting deer with hounds. As Donnie Baker would say, you can look it up. Some guys on here are in bed with the antis and are just looking to throw some of you under the bus. Simple as that, fellas.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would think that some folks would have done it by now, but check out some of the quotes of some of the animal rights activists involved in this situation. One of them in an interview pretty much criticized all sorts of hunting with dogs even though he was suppoed to just be talking about hunting deer with hounds.
It was the same way here when they tried to ban bear hunting with dogs Lanse, it was really about banning all dog hunters.. It didn't make any difference as to what the hounds or dogs were used to hunt for. So that one was quickly turned down and put to bed. There is no doubt they will try it again once they get done messing with other stuff..
Old 10-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bigg~BirddVA

Well Jeepguy here's what enforcement is up to these days for the hound hunters. I talked to the officer and got a lot more but it's not going out public. All I'll say is change is coming and the doggers days of running and gunning are numbered.

BTW way they are already issuing tickets for the fox hound loophole for those letting hounds out and claiming it's now a fox dog. If they are not in compliance with the law, they get a ticket. Here's the law.

Fox. - There shall be a continuous open season for hunting with dogs only. The hunting or pursuit of foxes shall mean the actual following of the dogs while in pursuit of a fox or foxes or managing the dog or dogs while the fox or foxes are being hunted or pursued. Foxes may be killed at any time by the owner or tenant of any land when such animals are doing damage to domestic stock or fowl.

Ends this let them out and go home and watch TV while the dogs run all over the county.

Northern Neck News article.

From the Wild
By Sgt. Rich Goszka Virginia Conservation Police

More enforcement of Hunting laws

If any of you have been following the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) Hound Hunting Study many of you will know that one of the many recommendations the citizen committee of this study has recommended is that DGIF law enforcement enhance their enforcement of our laws and regulations. Many Virginia Counties east of the blue ridge have passed resolutions supporting hound hunting and also requested the enforcement of existing laws and regulations, including one recently passed by the Richmond County Board of Supervisors. The Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance, which many local hunting clubs in the Northern Neck have joined, has also called for DGIF to enforce the existing laws rather than create new laws.

As the supervising Conservation Police Officer (CPO) in the Northern Neck I am getting the message loud and clear as to what our hunters and citizens of the Commonwealth are asking for. As a result I am putting a plan of action together to further the enforcement of the existing laws and regulations already on the books. The following are the existing laws and regulations that local CPOs assigned to the Northern Neck will actively seek out violations of. I feel that this should be made public in an effort to educate hunters and citizens of the Northern Neck as to what to expect as to the changes in our enforcement practices.

One of the biggest complaints we get every year in the Northern Neck is road hunting, blocking the road or using the road as a form of trespass. The Code of Virginia clearly states that no person shall stop a vehicle in such manner as to impede or render dangerous the use of the highway by others, except in the case of an emergency, an accident, or a mechanical breakdown. A highway is defined as the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel in the Commonwealth. We will enhance our effort to enforce this existing law. The highways of Virginia are designed for vehicular traffic and not for the purpose of hunting. As State sworn law enforcement officers we have an obligation to protect the safety of the general public. The use of the highways for the purpose of hunting when it creates a public safety hazard is a violation of the Code of Virginia.

Currently there is no legal chase season for deer outside of the general firearms season. Many deer hound hunters are using the fox chase season as the loophole in the law to run their deer hounds illegally. Under 29.1-516 of the Code of Virginia it states that the hunting or pursuit of foxes shall mean the actual following of the dogs while in pursuit of a fox or foxes or managing the dog or dogs while the fox or foxes are being hunted or pursued. The following of fox hounds means to travel behind the dogs during the chase. To manage the fox hounds means to be in charge of and give commands and direction during the chase. We will begin to enhance our efforts to enforce the provisions of this law and those that are running their deer hounds during the closed season. If deer hound hunters want a chase season they need to make this known to the DGIF and its board during our public comment period of our regulation cycle.

As to the enforcement of the hunting trespass laws all Conservation Police Officers (CPOs) have access to local tax maps through a computer mounted in their vehicles. CPOs will use this new technology to enforce the hunter trespass laws. Hunters are required to obtain written permission on posted lands or verbal permission on lands that are not posted. Hunt Clubs that lease land or get permission from a landowner for an entire club need to have this permission or lease available for inspection by a CPO. All club members on posted lands must carry either written permission from the landowner or a club membership card. It is the hunter’s responsibility to know whose land they are hunting. This is a matter of respect for all landowners. Obtaining permission prior to hunting will go a long way to establishing better relations with landowners and the image of the hunter.

Many of you are aware of Virginia’s right-to-retrieve law it states that fox hunters and coon hunters, when the chase begins on other lands, may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person who goes on prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs pursuant to this section and who willfully refuses to identify himself when requested by the landowner or his agent to do so is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. This law is for retrieval of hounds only. This means a hunter can not wander around prohibited property looking for their dogs. Hunters must know they are there by hearing, seeing or pin pointing them with modern radio tracking equipment. Upon this knowledge they should then immediately retrieve them and leave the property. The right-to-retrieve law is not an invitation to continue the chase.

Finally, it is the mission of DGIF to protect the hound hunting future. We will attempt to do this by addressing problem areas, partnering with other enforcement agencies and to send a message to those that disrespect the time honored tradition of hunting with hounds by violating the laws and ethics of the sport. We can not do this with out your help. You the citizens of this Commonwealth are our “eyes and hears”. We count on you to report violations and to let us know were problems exist. To report a violation call our Wildlife Crime Line at 1-800-237-5712.

For more information on hunting safety and Virginia’s hunting laws and regulations visit the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries website at www.dgif.virginia.gov.

Send questions, photos and wildlife stories to:
[email protected]
P.O. Box 447, Warsaw, VA, 22572
That's what they (houndsmen) were asking for, enforcement of the current laws. So why all B*tchen & Moaning on Speeddog?

Quick Reply: ***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS***

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.