Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 ***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS*** >

***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS***

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS***

Old 09-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS***

Face it guys, the anti's here have pretty much shot themselves in the foot by talking about "modifying" or better "regulating" hound hunting in one part of Virginaia, while speaking favorably about a total ban on it in another part of the state. Their credibility is rapidly going down the tubes.

And yes Rick, we know about the Sunday hunting issue. But that is rather marginal to this discussion since it did not pertain to attempts to limit or ban a particular style of hunting. Rather you had efforts by some misguided individuals to prevent the expansion of hunting days, often for religious reasons. Apples and organges.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Face it guys, the anti's here have pretty much shot themselves in the foot by talking about "modifying" or better "regulating" hound hunting in one part of Virginaia, while speaking favorably about a total ban on it in another part of the state. Their credibility is rapidly going down the tubes.

And yes Rick, we know about the Sunday hunting issue. But that is rather marginal to this discussion since it did not pertain to attempts to limit or ban a particular style of hunting. Rather you had efforts by some misguided individuals to prevent the expansion of hunting days, often for religious reasons. Apples and organges.
To clear it up for you since you seem to have some sort of difficulty I could care less if it was totally gone tomorrow. But on the other hand I do see that some like it and should be able to exercise their right to hunt as they wish on THEIR lands. Note the key words here is their lands. You guys love to twist and turn anytime you can.

Speaking favorably about part of the state was in response to posts that say 'if dog hunting goes all hunting will be next" and that old line of BS you constantly see. Again you seem to have troubles understanding English.

So you know I went out on a limb here and assumed "Virginaia" = Virginia and "organges" = oranges. Let me know if I'm wrong.

BTW hows the deer hunting with dogs in Ohio going up there this year? [8D]
Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 PM

There I was last Saturday, cutting shooting lanes, getting ready for opening day of Virginia's bow season on Oct. 4. About 2PM I hear a dog chasing a deer. I just stop and wait. I watched a doe go across the creek and about 2 minutes later I see the hound chasing her. Then on Sunday morning I am drinking my coffee and I hear the dogs comming. A whole pack of them! I listen for about 15 minutes, then silence. The hounds have lost the traIL
About 5 minutes later here comes the pack. I guess they smelled my breakfast cooking (sausage and eggs). Why cant the dog hunters wait for the general gun season when deer dogs are leagal? I guess I will be listening to the dogs on Oct 4 in Brunswick county VA. I just love the respect the dog hunters give us bow hunters. They say lets stick together. Go team! Yea!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

There simply is no more Fun or THRILL than to have a Pack of DEER Hounds Running there hearts on a Hot Chase/Track coming right stright at you,JUST AINT'T,PLAIN AND SIMPLE..
It would be a thrill if the dogs and hunters do not trespass where they are not wanted.
Or do you support being able to run deer dogs everywhere?

Iv'e been following these threads on several forums.
Seems like there would be no issue if deer dog hunters where willing to play by reasonable rules, police themselves, and respect other landowners rights to personal property.

Steve
Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

So what do you guys think that when you are running deer (or anything for that matter) with dogs that the deer just run in circles along the fence lines of the land that you can hunt. You could have a ton of land and the deer could still run onto someone else's land and if the deer runs then the dogs chase it. So how is that fixed. And just because a dog is chasing a deer doesn't mean that it's owners are wanting it to run deer. Hounds don't usually just run one animal, they are very versatile. But sometimes when foxhunting perhaps a deer gets up right in front of them, then the dogs chase it. It's like some of you guys think that the hounders are just out to get you. They are just doing what they love and as much as you don't like to hear it. Dogs can't read trespassing signs.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jessejmc1979

So what do you guys think that when you are running deer (or anything for that matter) with dogs that the deer just run in circles along the fence lines of the land that you can hunt. You could have a ton of land and the deer could still run onto someone else's land and if the deer runs then the dogs chase it. So how is that fixed. And just because a dog is chasing a deer doesn't mean that it's owners are wanting it to run deer. Hounds don't usually just run one animal, they are very versatile. But sometimes when foxhunting perhaps a deer gets up right in front of them, then the dogs chase it. It's like some of you guys think that the hounders are just out to get you. They are just doing what they love and as much as you don't like to hear it. Dogs can't read trespassing signs.
Well if the owners were anywhere around they might know what their dog was chasing. They're not. They're off doing whatever while their dogs raise hell on someone else's lands. It's fine for them to do what they love, I would just love for them to keep it on their own lands.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

The problem comes when you dont have enough land and your not properly set up to intercept the dogs before they carry on into the next lot. I talked to game manager here in VA, he seems to think there going to make it a min of 500 or 1000 acres to run dogs. The problem is when a guy lets his dogs out on 50acres and they run 6 miles down the road crossing over 40 different property lines.

And its different for different areas, I live up in Northern Va where they only use dogs to run foxes, the fox hunterswill run all over loudoun county chasing those dam foxes, trespassing and destroying property but the rich horse hippies claim heritage too. The problem is people arent resposiable. Will Smith, the actor got so pissed he put up a large fence to stop the fox people from chewing up his yard with hoof prints from the horses. If people were resposiable for the animals they own and use, this wouldnt be any issue, but there not, and they come up with bogus reasons like heritage why they should be aloud to do what they want.

Well i have native american in me, that should mean that i can hunt where ever i want in the US, trespassing every where because my ancestors used to hunt it, and its my heritage. Doesnt make sense does it???
Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Bigg, it has already pretty much been established that you areclearly an anti, although it is refreshing to see you come out and openly admit it. So, relatively few folks are taking what you say seriously in this matter. However, I was pointing out that, in general, speaking favorably about a dog ban in one part of the state to justify "regulation"in another part of the state is not a very smart way to advance ones agenda. But then again i think that it has already been established that we are not dealing with rocket scientists here since you have cronies who apparently think that it can only be "deer poachers" every time they see somebody with a dog box on the back of their truck or hear a dog bark anywhere in the general vicinity oftheir property or deer stand.

As for hound hunting in Ohio, I don't know since i don't hunt in Ohio. However, there is no deer hound hunting in Illinois (where I do hunt). But there is plenty of running of coyotes and coons with hounds, and plenty of deer taken in thesame places where the dog running occurs. But that is already known to the folks who have spent enough time out in the woods to know what they are talking about.

Of course, the deer running continues to be good in Louisiana where my family does it in far southwestern Louisiana. As i said before, the problem there is tresspass, poaching, and vandalism by still hunters. So, I guess thatfollowing your logic, folks shouldn't have a problem with banning still hunting in that part of the state the way that hound running is banned in some parts of your state?I mean hell, what better way to treat an infected fingernail than to cut off the whole damnarm.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

I don't particularity want it banned. Controlled. Of course it's just more fun to call someone an anti and be done with it. I don't care for dog hunting for deer but I support a property owners rights to use of their land as they see fit to the point that if you want to dog hunt and it's your land you should be able to do it.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Spike

lanse,all the ones i run into that cry that property rights stuff are just hiding somthing,bait piles,salt licks,or whatever,aint got nothin to do with rights they just dont want people stumbling upon their "honey holes" or catching them with a spotlight .

Quick Reply: ***URGENT VIRGINIA HUNTING DOG OWNERS***

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.