HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Garmin Astro (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/253486-garmin-astro.html)

JW 07-19-2008 04:11 AM

Garmin Astro

Any of you using the tracking collar - I sure am and have all my beeper collars up for sale! :)

I have used it on both land and water.

JW

mustad 07-19-2008 08:25 AM

RE: Garmin Astro

I'll be using one this year. Can't wait to get it.

daleh 07-24-2008 12:00 AM

I've got one and use it often.
I have noticed: It works very well when you can see the dog. It works in thinned out pines most of the time. In the woods it does not work at all. If your dog gets too far away it does not work. It has its flaws especially the anteana. Buy a spare or two. First 3 months charges up and works for days. After that every day charging is a must. Blinks off and on now when wet.
What I do like. GPS programming of coveys and run time. distance traveled etc. technical stuff and ease of use compared to others
I still use the Tracker and put one on every dog every time out the kennel.
The radio hand-held device is crude and takes some getting used too. However, It works each and every time and has a much longer range.
Downsides to the Tracker
Allot of batteriestwo 9v in thehandheld unit and don't know what to call the little batteries in the collar except expensive.
No one can just pick it up and start using it. You have to learn the unit and how to read it. It takes some time turning it 360 degrees and adjusting the dial. It picks up the signal facing either way. You have to deturmine ifthe dog is in front or behind you.
Marshal may make the best one, people that use them sware by them. I just can't carry that FCC house anteana around with me on walking hunts or horse-back.

JW 07-24-2008 08:55 PM

good review daleh - and I will take a closer look as I use mine

JW

mustad 07-25-2008 06:21 AM

Dale,

Which version do you have? I saw a presentation from Garmin on the Astro a couple weeks ago. They claim that the reception issue and the issue of breaking antennas has been fixed in the new model. We'll see when it comes out in August.

SWOSUMike 08-03-2008 11:01 PM

Daleh,
My experience has not been like yours. I hunt squirrel dogs and therefore am in the thick woods pretty much my entire hunt and mine works great. Coolest piece of hunting gear I own. A squirrel dog covers some rough ground and mine is well worth the money. Just yesterday I was out in some of the thickest summer growth I've hunted and had great reception. Always knew I could find my dog. Also, no antenna damage or unusual battery wear.

Biggest problem but easily solved is keeping the antenna on top of the dog's neck. You cannot balance a 2"x4" on a horse's neck :D. Same kind of thing with the garmin, but if you use a good counterweight and you place some roles of tape up under the unit, then you cause it to "contour." This has worked out just fine and I have no trouble keeping it atop the dog's neck.

Also, the collar mounting bracket on on the DC20 is plastic and will wear out.

Here is the best thing about it though...they now have the DC30, an entirely redesigned collar for the Astro that fixes the problems. It fits like a regular telemetry collar.

Check out www.garmin.com/astro to see details on the new product. I plan to buy one here soon and use my old one when I take a friend and his dog along.

daleh 08-06-2008 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: mustad

Dale,

Which version do you have? I saw a presentation from Garmin on the Astro a couple weeks ago. They claim that the reception issue and the issue of breaking antennas has been fixed in the new model. We'll see when it comes out in August.
Ive got the one that came out last summer. The first one without the vest deal.
Anyways glad they fixed the issues, Since I already paid for mine I guess I won't be getting a free upgrade.
I think the Tracker is better and will continue to use it and recomend it.

Here is the best thing about it though...they now have the DC30, an entirely redesigned collar for the Astro that fixes the problems. It fits like a regular telemetry collar.
SWOSUMIke, glad yours works great, if they never had any problems, i guess they wouldn't need to fix any issues.
DOGTRA still the best electronics I have ever used

PA GOBBLER 08-07-2008 08:12 AM

I am waiting for LCS to give me a call to tell me its in and l will pick it up on the way home from work. Like others said they say they fixed the problems w/ the new model, lets hope so. I can't wait to try it out.
daleh- i think you can upgrade to the new collar for $60 (i think)