Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training

Old 07-24-2008, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Training

Mustad,
Yes I know. But this setter is just comming into her own. Last season, she's done real well by me atleast as I am not that stringent. She points, reposition if necessary, steady to flush (although I'm working on steady to shot) and isn't gunshy. I don't require her to retrieve but if she does (she started to retrieve naturally) then thats an added bonus. Where I hunt, even some of these very seasoned dogs can't find a winged pheasant as they'll run into the briars. The stuff is so thick, you can actually walk on top of it.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

I think Dale has a very good point here AR. If you're going to be asking questions about dog training, keep in mind you need a thick skin.

Good luck,

ORIGINAL: AR 34 eight point

ORIGINAL: daleh

AR 34 eight point,
I don't even know of a trainer that uses such tactics, even the worst in our community has more sense than that. Dog Training is not rocket-science although, it does require dedication and common sense. I would help but, I am an ass (remember)
Good Luck
I see you agree with me..
I expected your rude reply, I can not see how your words would help anyone on the board. You prove every post how much of a jerk you are to anyone that has an opinion. I am sure if you agree with someone you would post negitivly because you did not post first.
I have not read one post from you where you explained anything, Only belittling others opinions.

I wont go any farther with this, I will skip all your posts. You know what I think of you.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 PM

I think this might be what you are after

Old 08-20-2008, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Nice looking dog Dale. Too bad about the tail though.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mustad

You will have to explain
Old 08-23-2008, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

You will have to explain
I'm not that big on Setters, but I find the 180 degree tail is much more stylish and traditional than the 90 degree. From what I've read and heard, the 90 degree tail is something that was infused into the breed here in North America. I assume your dog's tail is at 90 degrees when on point given where it is in the photo you posted.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:31 AM

You will have to explain
I'm not that big on Setters, but I find the 180 degree tail is much more stylish and traditional than the 90 degree. From what I've read and heard, the 90 degree tail is something that was infused into the breed here in North America. I assume your dog's tail is at 90 degrees when on point given where it is in the photo you posted.

There is absolutly nothing stylish at all about that dog. I looks like it going to lay down, tired, or creeping. That would never win any field trial in the USA.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Probably not Dale; because here in North America we have changed/bastardized the standard just like many other breeds. But no doubt in Europe where the breed standard comes from and where field trials are done on wild birds, not planted, you will see 100's of dogs like this. The difference between U.S. field trials and European field trials is the same difference between college football and the NFL, respectively.

BTW, check your training post in the classified section.

Cheers,
Old 08-26-2008, 04:51 PM

I would have to disagree. Field trials as we know them were born in the US. American field has been covering them since its conception. America has a long history of taking anything and making it better. Our Bastard English Setters of today are the result of years of selective breeding.Instead of being a slow and low pocher dog. The American version of the English Setter now can run with the King's Dog (English Pointer) Our Setters are big and bold and stand on point for as long as it takes to get to them and still look like amillion bucks
No other form of dog show or field trial in the world has even come close to the dedication of American Filed Trials.
1. The Dixie Plantation in Florida and Georgia was once comprised of 60,000 acres and was left to the Field Trial community through the Livingston Foundation.The original owner also owned the foundation Walking Horse which is the breed of horse most associated withfield trials and plantation hunting. Today the Dixie Plantation is home to the very prestigous Contiental Open All-Age Championship along with the National All-Age Derby Championship,region Ameature Championship and several classic trials
2. The Ames Plantation in Grand Junction TN(thousands and thousands of acres) was granted through a trust to hold the National All-Age Championship for as long as the American Field ses fit. (still today as it has been for the last 200 years no one is allowed to hunt quail on this property no matter how much money they have. They also hold lots of other horse-back trials including the Hobart Ames Chapionship
3. Hoffman, NC Field Trial grounds comprised of 57,000 acres is set aside for the sole purpose of running field trials. With my help and other board members it now holds the 2nd most prestigous Field Trial in the world. The National Shooting Dog Championship
4. H. Cooper Black memorail field trial grounds in Patrick, SC made up of over 8,000 acres has left to the field trial community. It holds such events as the SC Shooting Dog Championship, NBHA Championship, NSTRA SC regional Championship, NSTC Championship, and the National Upland Boykin Spaniel Championship.
I don't know them all but more land in The US has been set aside for field trials through owner trust funds than any other land trusts in the world.
I would bet that in the South alone there is billions of dollars worth of real estate that know one will do anything more than run Bird Dogs off Horse-Back on.
American Field also has field trial events run in Canada. Since the late 1800s Field trialers have been training in SK and Manitoba. Still today there are 8-10 Championship Trials run off horse-back and stakes that don't have the prestige of being considered a Ch. trial.
The real difference between NFL and college ball as you would say is the difference of ALL-AGE Horse-back trials being the NFL and the Shooting dog Horse-back trials being college ball. Everything else is something like little league
I almost forgot,98% ofAll-Age Championship and most Shooting Dog Championships are run on wild birds.
Planted Pen-raised birds are mostly used in walking trials or trials that a bird has to be shot for a retreive such as NSTC, NSTRA andthe Pass/ Fail system of the AKC,or the other one NAV thingy. I just can'tdo acompletion ribbon or hunt test pass.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

I would have to disagree as well dale. Although I'm not questioning the integrity and committment of American field and it's supporters by any means, to say field trials were born in the U.S. is a huge stretch to say the least.

If you ever get up to it, you should head over to France for the spring trials. You will see something pretty amazing and eye opening.

Quick Reply: Training

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.