Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab or golden retreiver

Old 05-05-2003, 07:24 AM

Default RE: Lab or golden retreiver

I have often thought about giving my goldens a field cut. I thought it might make them cooler in the heat of the summer. However, I am afraid that their fur might not be 100% by duck season and it would be cruel to send them into icy water.

Again, I have dealt with the burs before but no more thant it happens it is not that big of a deal. My golden hunts out of a boat an equal amount of time as well so there is less of a chance anyway. I might buy my golden a vest this next season which would reduce the exposed hair by atleast 50%. Just was not cold enough in SE Oklahoma where I hunt last year to put him in a vest.

Just thought of a new post on vests.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:31 PM

GOLDENS GOLDENS GOLDENS GOLDENS! the perfect dog, I have one and they are SO much better than labs[:-]. they are the best housepets too and I am NOT kidding[:-]
Old 05-18-2003, 09:15 PM

I don' t think that is a fair question. I don' t think you can go wrong in either breed. Chocolate, Yellows, and blacks are all the same breed - wasn' t sure if you understood that. Color comes from genetics. Anyway, the most critical thing you can do to stack the genetics in your favor is to spend some time with the prospective parents [if possible]. If they can jump 6 feet high when excited, they might be a little too wired for anybody but a good trainer! Contact an HRC club near you for guys that are not professional dog trainers, that train their own dogs, and will have good working stock. Bottom line is do your research. The HRC website is www.hrc.org you' ll find all breeds of retrievers - swamp collies included.

good luck
Old 05-19-2003, 06:50 AM

Spark,

Not sure if you understood the question.

The question is a comparison between the Golden Retriever and the Laborator Retriever, two totally different breeds. Has nothing to do with color.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:51 PM

Personally I would not purchase either I like the versatile breeds. If I wanted a flusher I would opt for a lab. I would also like to interject that there is 3 types of dogs an american lab, an english lab and a golden retriever to choose from. I do not like long hair for briars or to try to wash that black muck from the hair also picks up an odor so bathing is a must. Also both will shed but seeing the hair is longer on the golden it will seem like it sheds more and be more visable. All three breeds background on health needs to be thoroughly checked and eye certs and OFA on hips and elbows a must. Also tempermant on both sire and dam should be appraised. Yes I have seen some wonderful tempermant goldens but I have seen the opposite as well especially to other dogs, and I would assume the same with labs even though I have not seen it. Also the lab is the number one in numbers registered with AKC each year and there is a reason behind it.

If your leaning toward a lab understand the field or upland version you may be better off with an american lab ( a little more go) the downside is they may be a little more than you bargained for in the house. The english version is a little more clumgersome in the field but will get the job done but will need some extra time to do so and seems to work well in the house. Now this is not a rule so yes if you look an american lab will work well in the house but you need to do your homework this is based on numbers or what seems to be the norm. I do believe the lab can handle the cold water a whole lot better than the golden from what I have seen but that is with limited experiences. It may have been due to just lack of desire.

Best of luck with your new pup.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:27 AM

Sorry for any confusion. I understand the question, but I did not explain myself all that well. My discussion regarding color was that of the labs. He mentions specifically a chocolate lab. I simply wanted to point out that when it comes to labs they come in three colors but they are the same breed. There are opinions of which color are better but that seems to be splitting hairs.

If you want a swampy you' ll have to put up with or understand what the others have pointed out with the long coat and the higher maintenance of that coat. Whatever your choice, just be sure to pick from a quality litter.

good luck
Old 06-02-2003, 12:38 PM

I will tell you straight that I' m a Lab guy who also loves Goldens. However, the factors you really have to think of are as follows:
1)Genetics- really do your homework. Take a good look at the personalities of the Sire and Bitch. Some Goldens are known to have a defensive personality.
2)Are you strictly waterfowl hunting the dog or will you do some upland? Upland hunting is high mainatinance for a Golden. Burs have left more than a couple friends Goldens completely shaven. I just wipe off those burs with my hand on my lab.
3) Trainabilty- both are very smart, Retrievers are the best. However, I have delt with a great deal of professional trainers and all of them have said Goldens are a little more sensitive to training than Labs. How much will vary on genetics and personality.

Either breed you can' t go wrong with if you do your homework and train the dog a lot.

My vote slightly favors lab for , waterfowl and especillay upland and there incredible loving personalities.

-Mathewsconquest

P.S. I really like most males " buddy buddy" personalities. Females can sometimes be to independent.