Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Gun shy dog

Old 08-08-2008, 11:52 PM

Default RE: Gun shy dog

Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The dog isn't a hunting dog. The dog isn't just gun shy --- it's loud noise shy.
Typically, curing gunshyness has no effect on the fear of other noises.
I don't know of any method to cure Loud Noise Shyness, because each particular noise
would have to be fixed one at a time ---- seems pretty unreasonable to me.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowfisherman
I've seen dogs that weren't pure bred but were great hunters.
Did you read where it said, "This IS NOT a hunting dog"

You are sooooo clueless, it's sad.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

dfhfsdfhh
Old 08-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

sffsghfhfs
Old 08-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Doc E

I've seen dogs that weren't pure bred but were great hunters.
Did you read where it said, "This IS NOT a hunting dog"

You are sooooo clueless, it's sad.

are you mentally handicapped?
Old 08-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

bowfisherman

I love it when you block me.
I've always found that when someone can't back their statements up, that they either
resort to personal attacks or the real manly way of "blocking". sad, very sad

Old 08-10-2008, 06:52 PM

hey daleh, I did some advertising on a few dog and hunting forums for plantationquailhunting. Lets just say it didn't get a good review. over 100 views on the one forum so far. Don't worry theres only a few thousand members.
Screwing with me on a forum is one thing.
Blasting each other is kinda comical, Screwing with my ads and business is not.
Now your doing something illegal. Since you visited my website and sent me several emails. I now have your IP address.
Grow up and fix your problems before you do something that is going to cost you.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Here’s my experience with gun shy dogs. My first hunting dog was cocker-setter mix, a mutt that wandered onto the job site. I can still remember my boss telling me, “You take that pup home, you’re gunna have a dog.” I took the pup home and my girlfriend (now wife) fell in love with the mutt. At about a year old I took the dog out with a .22 and shot some cans. The dog did not like the report and hung back, she didn’t run off but she went back by the truck.

Hmmmm… after talking with a few people I got a cap gun and every time I fed the dog I fired off the cap gun. Started out in the next room and over a period of weeks got closer to the bowl, eventually I was popping off caps right over her head as she ate and she never so much as blinked. So the next step was taking her out for her first hunt with a .410. I was hoping to bump a pheasant and just fire the .410 in the air. Well we got into a covey of quail and she dove in, I fired and she didn’t pay me no mind. We spent the next hour hunting up the singles and do you think I could hit just one of them quail? I eventually ran out of shells. I took her out with .410 a few more times and then it was the 12 gauge from then on.

She was a good flusher and you couldn’t lose that dog, she never went far and always came back. She had a heck of nose. One day walking back down a gravel road, after a long day of rooster chasing, she just stopped, raised her head sniffing and took a sharp right into the timber. I was tired and wanted to get to the truck, but she was determined, I followed and not 50 yards into the timber there was a Cedar tree. She starts sniffing around the tree and out flies 2 turkeys, I about dumped my drawers right there.

Bugs.