HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   How Often Do You Vaccinate? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/242910-how-often-do-you-vaccinate.html)

Doc E 04-18-2008 08:38 AM

How Often Do You Vaccinate?

I received this email from Kris Christine Founder, Co-Trustee
THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND

To shed some light on titer testing, the following is from Page 19 the American Animal Hospital Association's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines under the heading "Serological Tests to Monitor Immunity: it states that "Although the committee does not feel it is necessary to determine titers to these core viruses on an annual basis because of the long minimum DOI [duration of immunity] for these products, titers can be used for your and/or your client's assurance that the animal has immunity. Experience with postvaccination titers for CDV [distemper], CAV [hepatitis], and CPV [parvo] shows that sterile immunity lasts for years...........The primary reason for the test is to ensure that you have a positive test after completing the puppy vaccination series."

From Page 16 of the 2003 AAHA Guidelines it reports that, "The MLV [modified live virus (such as distemper, hepatitis, parvo)] vaccines create an immunity that is similar to immunity after an animal recovers from infection." Further, on Page 17, " When MLV [modified live virus (such as distemper, hepatitis, parvo)] vaccines are used to immunize a dog, memory cells develop and likely persist for the life of the animal."

Dr. Alice Wolf, Professor of Small Animal Internal Medicine at Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine, stated in an address (Vaccines of the Present and Future www.vin.com/VINDBPub/S...00141.htm) at the 2001 World Small Animal Veterinary Association World Congress that: "MLV vaccines generally produce longer duration, more solid immunity. Both humoral and cell-mediated immune systems participate strongly in the response. A single vaccination may provide significant immunologic memory (as long as there is no maternal AB interference). MLV vaccines do not, or only infrequently, require revaccination ..."..

Combination Vaccines, Multiple Shots--on Page 16 of the 2003 AAHA Guidelines under Immunological Factors Determining Vaccine Safety, it states that: "Although increasing the number of components in a vaccine may be more convenient for the practitioner or owner, the likelihood for adverse effects may increase. Also, interference can occur among the components. Care must be taken not to administer a product containing too many vaccines simultaneously if adverse events are to be avoided and optimal immune responses are sought. "

If anyone would like copies of the American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines, the 1992 French challenge study demonstrating that dogs were immune to a rabies challenge 5 years after vaccination, the 2003 Italian study documenting fibrosarcomas at the presumed injection sites of rabies vaccines in dogs, as well as Dr. W. Jean Dodds' papers on vaccinal adverse reactions, please e-mail me at ledgespring @ lincoln.midcoast.com.

Kris L. Christine

Phil from Maine 04-18-2008 10:49 AM

RE: How Often Do You Vaccinate?

Once every 3 years unless it is a puppy that is just getting a booster. Then it will get another after the first year..

wildlands 04-18-2008 06:45 PM

I wish Ga was at leadt 3 years. They require an annual Rabies shot to get the tags for the dog.

Bruce H 04-19-2008 04:41 AM

We vaccinate for rabies once a year, but only because the City forces us to. Let me explain. We show and breed dogs and, because we have more than 2 dogs (we have 14), the City requires us to be licensed as a Multiple Animal Site. We used to be called a Hobby Kennel, but they determined that wasn't politically correct; but I digress. Anyway, the City comes out once a year to inspect when we renew our license. Part of that is to see that all our dogs have a current rabies vaccination. No current rabies, no renewal. Every year for the past 3 years we have talked to the inspector about either the 3 year vaccination or titers. And the answer is always NO. IMHO, the City has their head in the sand. And what's even dumber, is the City inspector works part time for a local vet and knows better. Just can't seem to get her on our side. I am beginning to suspect that she is afraid that 3 year vaccination will cut into the vet business. That particular vet is another one of those that is always pushing their Science Diet food.