Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 How does one keep a dog from being gun shy? >

How does one keep a dog from being gun shy?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How does one keep a dog from being gun shy?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How does one keep a dog from being gun shy?

There has been some good replies ... Here is mine.

You usually only get ONE chance to make a dog comfortable around a gunshot. Because once they are scared of it thats a tough knot to untie.So don't rush it.
They may be born not afraid of guns and you can shoot around them anytime ,but thats not a chance I would be willing to take with my dog
That said... This is what you do.

With you holding the dog and loving and praising the heck out of him till his tail about waggs off, have a partner take a small caliber gun like a .22 and got about 50-75 yards away. shoot a couple times... come 10 yards closer... shoot a couple more times... come 10 yards closer, repeatuntil they are standing right next to you. The whole time you are loving the dog up and telling him what a good boy he is... Treats won't hurt either.

Let a day or so pass...
Then if you have a small gaugee shotgun available .410 or 20 gauge repeat the above process.

Let a day or so pass...
Finally repeat again with a 12 gauge.

If at any point the dog shows any sign of fright, STOP and slow down, go back to the smallergun until you are certain he is comfortable,if you sense you should stop for the day DO IT, there is always tomorrow.

Remember you usually only get one chance to get this right.

For retrievers I usually throw bumpers or frozen birds for them while this is going on... not sure what you could do in respect to a rabbit dog..

Good Luck