Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Thoughts on training

Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on training

EODLT is correct. By far the easiest and quickest way to train Steadyis to properly use the ecollar.
The ecollar is used to correct the breaking, and not to enforce WHOA.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BKL Gundogs

mite if you really want some help with that contact me via email at [email protected]
Why not post your thoughts here? That way all of us can have
a chance to learn something.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:49 PM

Because hed rather sell them for the low low price of....
Old 03-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Typical Buck

BKL, thanks but I think I'm on the right track. It's sorta somethingI have to figure out on my own. It's learning totruely read my dog andto figure out whatto train orin this case what not to. Plus, I like to think. Like now, I'm thinking my dog is much smarter than I gave her credit for.

Inow believe faults were made in training by me. And I tried to figure out which ones and why. I didn't recognize what my dog was doing. I thinkherreluctancefor training is her both her cop-out and her boredom. I believe dogs can't tellhow much time has passed in the Now. They can tell when, ie. a certain time everyday by routine, but not 'its been 15 mins'. So, she's been doing things by rote including briefly woahing then breaking. She didn't care since there was no painor that I wasconstantly lifting her back or saying louder woahs. That was her routine. Her cop-out.

I rememberas a pupwas always sticking her nose in what I was doing.She would stick her noseinto everything I did. Like an inquisitive 2yr old child asking what am I doing every minute. Now, ifit doesn't concern her then she'll tune me out. Just like in her training. Praise wasn't working with her since I'm always playing and laughing with her (she's my buddy).

Hmmm..I guess I should have put the collar on her belly.

Well, if this is true then any training should go muchfaster once I'm able toincorporate some kind of stimulus into what I want her to learn.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Mite

Well, if this is true then any training should go muchfaster once I'm able toincorporate some kind of stimulus into what I want her to learn.
Thats the idea...

It wont take but a couple nicks from the collar when she breaks that she will realize thats not the thing to do... You will have a totally different animal when that collar goes on and she knows what behaivor sets it off. She will learn her boundaries, what she can and cant get away with, she CANNOT get away with breaking... Under NO circumstances!

She will come around shortly.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't nick the dog until the bird is in the air unless it's absolutely the last resort. You stand the risk of getting your dog to blink if you're not careful. If that happens, correcting the problem is not fun.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: mustad

I wouldn't nick the dog until the bird is in the air unless it's absolutely the last resort. You stand the risk of getting your dog to blink if you're not careful. If that happens, correcting the problem is not fun.
Thats what I said...

Thats what "breaking" means, the dog is not steady when the bird flushes, or the dog is "breaking" your whoa.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:33 PM

It wont take but a couple nicks from the collar when she breaks that she will realize thats not the thing to do... You will have a totally different animal when that collar goes on and she knows what behaivor sets it off. She will learn her boundaries, what she can and cant get away with, she CANNOT get away with breaking... Under NO circumstances!

So where at should he start at with the ecollar? Or what level should he start with? Would it be wise to use continuos or just nick? What will happen if she doesnt learn her boundries fast enough, what should we do? More heat with the collar? How should we go about all of this? Thanks Jonesy
Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: tailcrackin

So where at should he start at with the ecollar? The neck is a good place to start.

Or what level should he start with? As low as possible, whatever gets the desired behaivor change is sufficient.

Would it be wise to use continuos or just nick? Just nick.

What will happen if she doesnt learn her boundries fast enough, what should we do? It can take some time, there is no set time limit, its not a race. It will be a gradual change, dont rush through it.

More heat with the collar? No, as long as the dog is getting the idea, it will just take more time and consistency.

How should we go about all of this? Its already been explained above, read it.

Thanks Jonesy No Thank you Jonesy... Thanks for your smart azz comments, you tried your best to stump me, but I am a dog trainer and you are obviously not, just a weekend warrior who thinks they are a pro trainer and loves to throw in some real killers of some questions!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 PM

ok, thanks Jonesy

Quick Reply: Thoughts on training

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.