Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Need help finding the right dog >

Need help finding the right dog

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Need help finding the right dog

Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 AM

Default Need help finding the right dog

I was waiting until the really cold weather went away before i got me a dog. I want a dog that can fetch a bird, but also can be protective, and playful. I was thinking a lab, but the last one i had only wanted to lick you to death. I like my cousins Boxer,but then i loose the "bird fetching" part of the dog. Please any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need help finding the right dog

Alan you know we need coon dogs!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:00 AM

Thats sorta a catch 22 you have there.

You dont want a hunting dog that you cant take hunting for fear he might hurt someone. Labs are good "watchdogs" (meaning an alert bark, but prolly no bite). That being said I have had a couple labs that would bite the sheeetoutta whoever went into their yard.Thats not a good thing really, I didnt like those dogs, they never really produced much.

When you get a dog, if its not a real push over personality, it will instinctively be "protective" of the people it lives with. Doesnt mean its going to bite the bad guy, but it will let you know when someone is near, and you never know what the dog might do in a lifeor death situation until that comes.

Go get yourself the best hunting dog you can, then go buy a few more guns and protect yourself if the dog wont.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

I would say either a lab or a golden retriever. When picking a dog, go to the litter of pups, dont touch them, just let one come to you, the first one that comes to you is the one that you will get along with the best.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:19 PM

Ive been looking in the Mule Trader and there are some pretty good deals for Labs. There are some that are free to a good home, then there are some that might cost $100-$150, which isnt bad, But the free to a good home, are either puppies, or there is one that says and i quote, "he likes to be the baby of the house". What kinda dog is that. I dont want a puppy(already been there), i just want a dog that is about 1 year old and is good shape and playful.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Are you going to be doing all the training? Are you looking for a "started" or "finished" dog? You looking for a registered dog? "the baby of the house" prolly means he likes to have all the attention. Really cute and cudly type. Not a hunter/watchdog type.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 PM

check out the German Shorthair Pointers, Google them, google the DD breed, and the DK breed. ( german version of them ) I think that you would be impressed to see that they fit your bill nicely

Old 02-23-2008, 02:07 AM
Fork Horn

Get a Lab
Old 02-24-2008, 08:17 PM

I was thinking about getting a deer hound. i think their called Walkers.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

For game and family safety there is only one that comes to mind; Chessies!! There is no question that this is the best of what you are looking for.

Quick Reply: Need help finding the right dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.